"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Can zucchini be stuffed

Hi everyone. Well, as all you gardeners probably know, it's now that time when the zucchini is harvesting in abundance. I'm wondering if zucchini can be stuffed, like bell peppers and eggplant can be stuffed. If any of you have tried this and have a TNT recipe, I would appreciate it very much if you could pass it along. Maybe it's not even possible to do, but thought I would just toss out this question. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats
Hi everyone. Well, as all you gardeners probably know, it's now that time when the zucchini is harvesting in abundance. I'm wondering if zucchini can be stuffed, like bell peppers and eggplant can be stuffed. If any of you have tried this and have a TNT recipe, I would appreciate it very much if you could pass it along. Maybe it's not even possible to do, but thought I would just toss out this question. Thanks.
When I have a glut of courgettes, I stuff them. Cut in half lengthwise. Cook for a couple of minutes, but still quite firm. Scoop out the centres. Make up a rich Bolognese sauce and a fill the 'boats' with the bolognese sauce. Put in a large shallow dish, sprinkle with a parmesan cheese/cheddar/ breadcrumb mixture and then cook in a low oven until the 'boats' are cooked through and the cheese melted!

Old 07-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Cats,

i try to use small or med zukes, slice length wise, par-boiled til still firm, cool, scoop out centers and set aside, let cool til you can handle, squeeze out the water, and chop the center and add to some par-boiled onion, chopped cooked spinach, garlic minced, minced parsley, and I use a lot of marjoram..I then saute in oilive oil. Mix with fresh grated bread crumbs from italian bread, add parmesan cheese and eggs, mix together and stuff zukes, place on oiled cookie sheet with sides and bake til golden on top..I can try to exact this for you if your interested. I make this all the time for family and also use it to stuff onions.
kadesma
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Mom used to stuff zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, cukes, grape leaves and cabbage with a lamb and rice stuffing and them simmer them in chicken broth. We called that dolma which is similar to the Greek dolmates.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Head Chef

I use giant Zucchinis for stuffing; they should be about 12" in length.

I scoop out the Zucchini pulp and chop it. I dice 3 large garlic cloves, onions, & red and green Bell Peppers.

I cook the pulp and the other veggies in a 4 quart (or larger) Dutch Oven until tender.

Add 1 Tsp of Italian Seasoning blend.

Add black pepper &/or hot sauce.

Add 2 cups (or so) of Italian Seasoned Bread crumbs and 1 cup of an inexpensive brand of canned parmesan cheese (like Kraft).

Stir until combined.

Place inside zucchini shells and bake at 350 degrees until zucchini shells are tender.

Tags
None