"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the seeds removed for puree and canned sauce? Running canned whole tomatoes through a food mill takes a lot longer than a few seconds.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the seeds removed for puree and canned sauce? Running canned whole tomatoes through a food mill takes a lot longer than a few seconds.
If I am willing to eat the seeds in a BLT, then I see no reason to go through a lot of work to remove them in order to obtain a product I can purchase off the shelf of my supermarket. I don't mind taking extra steps to save money, but sometimes it becomes downright silly.

I just HAD to have a food mill. Just HAD to. My cooking life was not going to be complete without one. Then I saw one in a yard sale. After using it twice, I realized why it was in the yard sale. It went right into the trash. On top of the trash can where it could be seen by walkerbys. Sure enough, it was only there for less than an hour. I am so glad I never invested in a new one.

I also had to have a potato ricer. Difficult to store and a lot of work to use. Cleanup is no picnic either. Grant you, I does make great fluffy mashed potaotes, but so not worth the price. It is now the proud possesion of my daughter. Good luck to her. I often think that the best thing that ever happened to me was having to downsize. It certainly cut down on all those wonderful things I just thought I had to have. Can my large FP do the same job? Good, then I don't need an appliance designed just for that one purpose. And if it can't, then I will find a recipe that my FP can do for me. Be carfull what you wish for. It just might mean more work than you want.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Yes it takes more then a few seconds.

But isn't what we eat worth it?

Cooking is enjoyment for me and I don't mind the time.

Have we really become a society where a millisecond counts?

I'm sorry if I'm old fashioned but I still don't believe 9:01 is late when 9:00 was the time agreed upon.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef

I find whole tomatoes are generally more expensive than crushed, puree, etc.

I use a ricer for mashed because I like my potatoes light, fluffy and lump-free. A ricer is easier to clean than a FP.

Never had a food mill. Don't miss it.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Yes it takes more then a few seconds.

But isn't what we eat worth it?

Cooking is enjoyment for me and I don't mind the time.

Have we really become a society where a millisecond counts?

I'm sorry if I'm old fashioned but I still don't believe 9:01 is late when 9:00 was the time agreed upon.
And I prefer to be there at 8:59. Can me anal, I know I am. But I don't like to keep folks waiting.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #66
Head Chef

Oh I agree being early is the way to go but have we become slaves to the "Cell Phone" clock to the point where a few seconds (60) matter so much?

Sorry but I like to believe that 9ish is just that. Around 9:00 and a tiny bit of time plus or minus isn't a deal breaker.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

removing seeds from tomatoes is pretty easy, no big deal.

after blanching to remove the skin, you just cut them in half and give a gentle squeeze. most of the seeds and unwanted liquid comes out. i mean, unless you are a michelin chef, you don't have get rid of every single seed.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
removing seeds from tomatoes is pretty easy, no big deal.

after blanching to remove the skin, you just cut them in half and give a gentle squeeze. most of the seeds and unwanted liquid comes out. i mean, unless you are a michelin chef, you don't have get rid of every single seed.
And I always thought I had five stars or diamonds or tires or whatever it is they give nowadays.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #69
Master Chef

I like tomato seeds. But I do put my crushed and whole through the food mill sometimes to get rid of skins and other stuff you find on occasion in the can that I don't want in my sauce.

I use my rice to squeeze out liquid from juicy foods.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For every step the manufacturer takes to reduce the tomato, it is added to the final cost of the product as a whole. So I try to buy whole tomatoes and crush, puree, or whatever myself. It only takes a couple of seconds. Sometmes when diced are on sale, I will buy a couple of cans. I can add my own seasonings. I use Amercian canned tomatoes for my mac and cheese. A couple of sharp knives placed inside the can and they are cut up just fine. I am more about the final cost than the convience of the final product.
You must have missed my earlier post. Here anyway, at the stores I shop, a can of whole tomatoes costs exactly the same as a can of diced, puree, crushed... whatever. So if they are passing on the extra costs of processing they are distributing it amongst all the varieties they sell. I'm not saying it isn't the stores that might be evening out costs. If whole tomatoes were cheaper, that's what I would be buying.

Tags
tomatoes