Dauphinoise Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Furthermore I don't skin my potatoes. By the time they've fully cooked the skins are as tender as the rest, and add flavor. Some may not like the rustic appearance of the skins but I do.

I'm another one who never peels WAXY potatoes, regardless of what the recipe says, because the skins are extremely thin, tender, & tasty. I do, however, always peel Russets, because the skin - while also tasty - is thicker & tougher, even after cooking.

I'm the same Bacardi, I dont peel waxy potatoes either.

Well, I'm going to experiment, I have ordered some King Eddies potatoes to try first (they are floury).

Harry - thanks for the tip re Roosters .

So, I'm still confused. I've never heard of Dauphinoise. Would somebody clue me in? I must have missed something.:ermm:
Pommes Dauphinoise is basically the French equivalent of Scalloped Potatoes. The difference is that Dauphinoise is made with cream, rather than milk and flour. Some versions have cheese. Others don't. Either way, it's a dish worthy of a dinner party.

I like to make it in a brownie pan and bake it twice. The night before I plan to serve it, I bake it covered until the potatoes are just barely done. Then leave it overnight in the fridge. This helps the whole thing firm up and gives the flavors time to meld. Then I bake it again the next day, this time uncovered, to let everything brown and crisp up. When I serve it, I cut it into squares (like a bar cookie). :yum:

Last edited:
Pommes Dauphinoise is basically the French equivalent of Scalloped Potatoes. The difference is that Dauphinoise is made with cream, rather than milk and flour. Some versions have cheese. Others don't. Either way, it's a dish worthy of a dinner party.
That explains it. I always wondered why I detest scalloped potatoes and I like Dauphinoise and Danish cream potatoes.

I make my scalloped potatoes with cream too, no flour either. Biggest difference with the recipe posted earlier is that I add a few thinly sliced onions and grated cheese, in thin layers, and some fresh parsley. But that's creamy cheesy scalloped potatoes then.

I make my scalloped potatoes with cream too, no flour either. Biggest difference with the recipe posted earlier is that I add a few thinly sliced onions and grated cheese, in thin layers, and some fresh parsley. But that's creamy cheesy scalloped potatoes then.

Yes. Tastier with onion and cheese. Now you can call them Dauphinoise Especial to make them sound more elegant.

I call it scalloped potatoes because that's what Rombauer and Becker called it.

Does it taste any better or any fancier when you Dauphinoise it? :)

My mother's "scalloped potatoes" was nothing to write home about. It was thick slices of potatoes with a greasy, gloppy sauce made of milk, butter, and flour. There were usually inedible lumps of flour in it. I loved my mom, but I hated her potato dish. Even Rombauer and Becker's recipe has flour in it. So I think it's maybe the flour I don't like. :ermm:

To be fair, regardless of what you call it, this isn't a dish I could eat weekly... or even monthly. I tend to avoid recipes that call for any more than a half cup of cream in the ingredient list. But every once in awhile, you just have to indulge.

Thats it Steve, its more of a once in a while treat dish really, its ages since I had it.

In our chippies (chip shops) we used to be able to buy Scallops - which was thinly sliced potatoes in batter. Smashing. No idea if they still do them as I never go to the chippy these days!

I'm going to try this, but with the changes I'll make, it won't be Dauphinoise. I can't pronounce that anyway!

I've got a bunch of little red potatoes, evaporated milk, and plenty of garlic. Also, I can't imagine making this without onions, so I'll use my slicer thingy to alternate slices of potatoes with onions.

Even Rombauer and Becker's recipe has flour in it. So I think it's maybe the flour I don't like. :ermm:

Sorry to disagree, I was updating my own recipe putting it in print a few months ago and I researched Rombauer & Becker's scalloped potato recipe and compared it to mine. Neither uses flour. I can't even imagine what purpose flour would serve in scalloped potatoes.

However I know right now that my recipe uses too much cream for your tastes, although I use 50:50 cream:milk.

Starchy! I'm not sure why on earth you'd use a waxy potato when Pommes Dauphinoise uses mashed potatoes which are usually made with starchy potatoes.

EDIT: Whoops I totally got Pommes Dauphinoise and Pommes Dauphine mixed up for a minute!

For Dauphinoise use WAXY
For Dauphine use STARCHY

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree, I was updating my own recipe putting it in print a few months ago and I researched Rombauer & Becker's scalloped potato recipe and compared it to mine. Neither uses flour. I can't even imagine what purpose flour would serve in scalloped potatoes.

However I know right now that my recipe uses too much cream for your tastes, although I use 50:50 cream:milk.
Which edition of Joy of Cooking are you looking in Greg? My 1975 edition lists two recipes for scalloped potatoes. One uses flour and the other uses condensed mushroom or celery soup.

Well I guess if I really want the answer I'll have to do some research. I've owned at least three editions of Joy of Cooking, and my latest is a really nice recent edition--except it's with all the rest of my cookbooks in storage. The book I looked at several weeks ago was at the public library (because it was easier than getting to my own copy) and I don't recall which edition. So maybe the best answer would be I don't know. Joy of Cooking was my main cookbook for a couple of decades, along with the Sunset cookbooks which probably many people remember. And then they invented the Internet...

The recipe I'm referring to definitely didn't have any canned soup. I'm just curious. What would be the reason for anybody adding flour to scalloped potatoes?

But... But... But... My recipe (very similar to Joy of Cooking) already has nice, thick, creamy, cheesy sauce. Get it right and the sauce is thick and the tops are nicely browned. There's no need for flour, just the right amount of liquid at the beginning and the right amount of cooking does it all.

But of course, accepting reality, some people may think it needs flour.

I think part of the logic was that a white sauce wasn't as fattening as heavy cream and butter.

Back
Top Bottom