ISO Recipe for Potato Pancakes or Anything with Leftover Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
Hi friends - I made some wonderful potato skins last night - with help from TexasBlueHeron and AuntDot - thanks guys.

Anyways, now I have alot of leftover potatoes. My folks are coming over for a couple days. Dad loves potato pancakes. Anyone have an EASY recipe for this? I will take any recipe using leftover potatoes. Thanks!!!

Hey Michelemarie, try this thread. Although I have to say that potato pancakes are the easiest thing going.

Did you mash the insides you scooped out? If so, just add some flour, salt and an egg and smush it around until it looks like dough. Then make patties with your hands and fry them in some hot oil or butter or something. I do a few at a time and keep them hot in the oven so that I serve a big pile all at once.

You could also make gnocchi with the insides. Strangely, I made potato skins the other day too and am going to make gnocchi with the insides tonight.

There is a recipe on here somewhere, but I do basically the same as with potato pancakes. I add enough flour and egg to make it a dough, and then I roll pieces into long tube and cut them into little chicklet sized pieces. Then I boil them until they float, toss them with some butter and serve with a nice tomato sauce.

I make mine like Alix, though I dont add flour (maybe I should so they are firmer), but I also add chopped scallions for extra flavor.

You can also made stafed potato, gm, don't know what to call them, it is Ukraininan dish. Anyway make pancake like Alix recomend then add ground, cooked meat in the midle and close kind of like pierogy. Fry on both sides.

Michele, this is an exerpt from a post I made some time ago. I explained how I make gnocchi rather in detail... I hope this will help...

Only basic ingredients are potatoes and flour, the amount of flour you will have to "feel" it. It is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount of potatoes, more or less. (not by the volume but by the weight!!)

precook potatoes whole with skin on, steaming or pressure cooking would be the best way, as you would want as little liquid as possible getting into the potatoes.
Also it is true that the recipe can vary according to the quality of potatoes. It is difficult to get just the right kind of potatoes, I often end up adding much more flour than what the recipe calls for to make the dough solid enough. You have to kinda play by ears, just feel the dough while you are kneading it and while making the "ropes", if it feels too flimsy and soft, you need to add some more flour until it attains the body that is robust enough. Also when you store them in the fridge, use plenty of flours preferably to coat each morsels to prevent sticking to each other and to absorb any existing excess moisture.

When you cook them, don't put too many in one go, and scoop them up as they rise to the surface.

For sauces, one of my favourites is quattro formaggi, well...to be honest it is one of those things that you are not "allowed" to give a thought about just how much calories you are packing in as you enjoy it, but it is just a brilliant occasional treat, well worth a try. My usual combinations are gorgonzola, taleggio, fontina and edam (or gouda), cut them into small cubes, heat them up in a double boiler, add desired amount of cooking cream and a dash of white pepper and let it cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce become completely smooth. They are just gorgeous, and if you cook some broccolis on the side to enjoy them with this sauce, mmm, mmm, mmm...

BTW, the other day I tried microwaving the potatoes, like when you make the "mock baked potatoes". poking the wholes around the skin, then cook it on full power for 12min. circa. They also came out perfectly for the gnocchi base!!

Thank you, thank you thank you! Urmaniac - gnocci sounds great! Mish, everything sounds great! Thank you all for your help! I think I will be making alot of potato skins just to get the leftover pulp! Thank you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom