"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

This is why I do it.
I think they cook faster by boiling/steaming them first and I like soft veggies. The oil and seasoning is more for flavoring after they are cooked.
When I cook them with bacon and onions I will put the beans in the same pot raw because bacon takes a while anyway, so it works out well for me doing it that way. That pot/pan takes up a lot more room on my stovetop than the first method I use.
I didn't used to have a problem with space on my stovetop, but find myself thinking four burners aren't enough sometimes and you then get a couple large pieces of cookware on the stove and nothing gets centered over the burners...

Here they are shortly after starting. I use a wok type pan. This was lunch one day The smokier the bacon the better.

Love the pouch and Italian dressing method, Debbie!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #22
Master Chef

Maverick - the reason you can sometimes get away with directly sauteeing frozen green beans is because they're always blanched first before freezing. Thus they've essentially already gone thru a partial "steaming/boiling" process.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I like them roasted with a bit of sea salt, pepper and lemon zest.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #24
Head Chef

Depends on my mood & what I'm serving them with. Steam em, just until crisp-tender, and sprinkle w lemon juice, s&p. Add-ins can be minced garlic, parsley or rosemary, toasted pine nuts or walnuts. Or - soy sauce & sesame oil, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. Other add-ins - halved cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, & grated parmesan.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #25
Cook

My way....

Mike's Chinese Green Beans

Ingredients:
1 lb Absolutely Fresh Green Beans
3 qt Boiling Water
2 tb Dark Sesame Oil
2 ts Sea Salt (fine grind)
1 pn Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
2 ts Toasted Sesame Seeds

Instructions:
Tip and Tail the Absolutely snappy fresh green beans but leave whole. Immerse in Boiling water, wait until water reboils and set timer for 3 or 4 minutes depending on the slenderness of the green beans. Remove and drain beans at allotted time. Shock the beans immediately in Iced water to cool completely. Dry the beans by shaking them in a clean towel. Heat Sesame oil till 378 degrees in large Sauté pan or Wok and drop beans into pan. Stir Fry until beans are slightly scorched, adding the salt and the pinch of red pepper flakes as you stir fry. Add the optional toasted sesame seeds right before serving. DO NOT overcook beans in this last process. Serve beans either hot, warm or cold. Recipe and typing errors by GadgetGeek 08/21/1994

Serving Size: 6 Servings
Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #26
Master Chef

Thanks Mike! I have an entire document folder devoted to Asian-style green beans. This will make a nice addition & I can't wait to try it.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Thanks Mike! I have an entire document folder devoted to Asian-style green beans. This will make a nice addition & I can't wait to try it.
You are very welcome... this and some of our/my other recipes are on the chefandthefatman webpage. Is your document folder on the web?

Unfortunately, right now the green beans I'm getting do NOT fall into the "snappy fresh" category. But summer will soon be here, and the small, organic farms around here will have plenty of them.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Maverick - the reason you can sometimes get away with directly sauteeing frozen green beans is because they're always blanched first before freezing. Thus they've essentially already gone thru a partial "steaming/boiling" process.
Ahh, I see. Well I do like mine more crunchy and less soft, and they do turn out that way when I just saute them, so I think I will keep going in that direction for now.

Tags
None