"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via MSN to cc2003btw
ISO Vegetarian Stuffing ideas

Hi all,

I'm making stuffing for a family meal (early christmas) and one of them is vegetarian. Has anyone got some reccomendations for a recipe for the stuffing, we're making it in the morning of the day, if that affects anything.

Cheers m' dears.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
ground/chopped Chestnuts are a must in that case :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You could make a standard sage stuffing with the bread of your choice. Use vegetable broth in place of meat stock. If necessary, use vegetable oil in place of butter.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Master Chef

Ditto what Andy M. said - any basic bread, cornbread, or rice stuffing recipe that does not include meat(s) will work.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Senior Cook

hi -
i'm an ex-veggie myself (7 or 8 years). you need to find out what kind of vegetarian they are. there's a wide range of "vegetarians" from people who call themselves vegetarians because the refrain from eating 2- or 4-footed animals but eat fish with no qualms, to people who won't eat an apple unless it's organic and fallen to the ground, not picked. some eat dairy products like milk, cheese & eggs (i did) and some won't.

saute your celery and onions in veg. oil and use some whole grain bread. if they don't use dairy products, you can try using some vegetarian or eggless mayonaise to help hold the stuffing together, instead of milk. also, finely diced apple will add a lot of moisture, too. after that, the field is wide open:sage and other herbs of course, also pecans, dried cranberries, or whatever seems interesting.

whatever you do, don't stuff a bird with it and expect them to eat it. lol

cook it separately in a small casserole or something, maybe covered with aluminum foil so it doesn't dry out.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Ditto philso. What degree vegetarian? Place 2 tablespoons EVOO in skillet.
Add one chopped onion chop a lot of celery saute A week before buy a loaf of bread...slice,cube and let dry. Place the bread in a large bowl.
Heat 4 cups milk (or water). Add to bread. Stir Add the onion,celery,
to the bowl. Add two tablespoons of Bell's All Natural Seasoning (Box net wt 1 OZ.) Mix.
Bell's Easy 3-step Directions( smaller quantity)
1. Saute 1/3 cup minced onion and 1/2 cup chopped celery in 4 tablespoons margarine or butter until golden.
2. Pour sauteed vegetables and 1/2 cup water or milk over 8 slices of bread cubed(cut into cubes days before or toasted) and toss.
3. Add 1-1/2 tsp. Bell's Seasoning, a dash of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt (if desired) Toss until mixed.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
hi -
i'm an ex-veggie myself (7 or 8 years). you need to find out what kind of vegetarian they are. there's a wide range of "vegetarians" from people who call themselves vegetarians because the refrain from eating 2- or 4-footed animals but eat fish with no qualms, to people who won't eat an apple unless .
Philso - a "vegetarian" who eats fish is not a vegetarian. A fish is an animal.
However, I agree totally with your assessment of "Ovo-Lacto- vegetarians" - cheese, milk and eggs ; Vegans ( no animal products what so ever) - ya gotta be careful!
Perhaps the best idea would be to prepare something totally vegetable. Nuts, herbs, lentils, fruit, vegetables... you might try a mixture of chestnuts, red lentils, mixed herbs, apples, carrots, celery, onion, and bulghur wheat.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Philso - a "vegetarian" who eats fish is not a vegetarian. A fish is an animal. ...
i totally agree. but, beleive it or not, i've actually met people who eat fish who call themselves vegetarians. well, to some degree, we all live in our own little reality, so who am i to burst their bubble?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My son, who's a vegetarian, defines it by saying he won't eat anything that has eyes!

Re the stuffing; no need to use milk at all; just use a veggie broth for moistening. I usually saute onion, celery, garlic in lots of butter - tho you could certainly use oil, over medium-low heat til soft; add shredded carrots and mushrooms, lots of chopped fresh parsley, salt/pepper, lots of sage, some marjoram and thyme all go in the saute pan. Then I add about a soup can of whatever broth I'm using. Pour that over the bread cubes (mine are usually about an inch square), and toss. Wash out the saute pan with a little more broth to get all the goodies in the pan, and add that. If you need more broth, add a little at a time. That's it! Put in an oiled casserole dish, and bake at 350 for about half an hour.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

bulgar, wild rice (not the mix) , vaious mushrooms, jullienned leeks, zucchini, etc...nuts like chestnuts, sage or thyme, veg broth, your own garlic crutons.

stuff acorn squash! a beautiful dish.

Tags
None