"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Let's Cook Pumpkin

I have trouble navigating. That is one of the reasons I left the Forum. Will try to get it. This time of year we want recipes on how to use Pumpkin. I will start with a pumpkin dish Kadu Bouranee(Sweet Pumpkin)
2 lb fresh pumpkin
1/4 cup corn oil(I use Canola Oil)
Sweet Tomato Sauce:
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
l cup water
sprinkle salt
sprinkle sugar
4 oz tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh Ginger Root chopped fine
1 tablespoon Coriander seeds (or ground Coriander)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Yogurt Sauce:
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
sprinkle salt
3/4 cup plain green yogurt
Garnish dry mint leaves crushed.

Peel the pumpkin and cut into 2-3 inch cubes set aside
Heat oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Fry the pumpkin pieces on both sides for a couple of minutes until lightly browned.

Mix together ingredients for Sweet Tomato Sauce in a bowl, then add to pumpkin in fry poan. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated..

Mix together the ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce.

To serve spread half the yogurt sauce on a plate and lay the pumpkin on top. Top with remaining yogurt and any cooking juices left over. Sprinkle with dry mint.

So savory and delicious. We serve a bowl of brown rice or bulger wheat with this, and sliced cucumbers. And it's really good the second time if you have some left. Sweet Pumpkin (Kadu Bouranee) Title: Let's Cook Pumpkin Subject: Pumpkin

Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds good to me.welcome back

Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

I love pumpkin and am always looking for new ways to use it. Welcome back and a big thank you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Cook

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Here is a French recipe that my mother used to make..

Fried Pumpkin- "Chips" de Potiron
1 2 lb peice of pumpkin
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper( or black, if prefer)
oil for frying
1 tablespoon finely choppe garlic
Chopped fresh parsley

Peel and clean pumpkin. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces about 1x1 1/2 inch rectangles. Or any other uniformly shaped pieces.
Dip pumpkin in milk and dust with seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Fry pumpkin evenly until golden and drain on paper towel. Serve on platter and sprinkle garlic and parsley liberally on them....enjoy

Roch

Tags
recipe, sweet pumpkin

Let's Cook Pumpkin I have trouble navigating. That is one of the reasons I left the Forum. Will try to get it. This time of year we want recipes on how to use Pumpkin. I will start with a pumpkin dish Kadu Bouranee(Sweet Pumpkin) 2 lb fresh pumpkin 1/4 cup corn oil(I use Canola Oil) Sweet Tomato Sauce: 1 tablespoon crushed garlic l cup water sprinkle salt sprinkle sugar 4 oz tomato sauce 1/2 teaspoon fresh Ginger Root chopped fine 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds (or ground Coriander) 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Yogurt Sauce: 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic sprinkle salt 3/4 cup plain green yogurt Garnish dry mint leaves crushed. Peel the pumpkin and cut into 2-3 inch cubes set aside Heat oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Fry the pumpkin pieces on both sides for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. Mix together ingredients for Sweet Tomato Sauce in a bowl, then add to pumpkin in fry poan. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated.. Mix together the ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce. To serve spread half the yogurt sauce on a plate and lay the pumpkin on top. Top with remaining yogurt and any cooking juices left over. Sprinkle with dry mint. So savory and delicious. We serve a bowl of brown rice or bulger wheat with this, and sliced cucumbers. And it's really good the second time if you have some left. Sweet Pumpkin (Kadu Bouranee) Title: Let's Cook Pumpkin Subject: Pumpkin 3 stars 1 reviews