"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Master Chef

Mashed Potatoes

I have used several mashed potato casserole recipes, because I don't want to have to be mashing potatoes at the last minute on Thanksgiving day. But with all the rich food we have, including gravy, I'd rather have plain mashed potatoes.
I've reheated leftover mashed potatoes successfully in the microwave, so I'm going to give it a try...wish me luck!

Any advice, anyone?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Executive Chef

There was a recent thread on transporting mashed potatoes where some one said about reheating a microwave. Their suggestion was to add a little milk when reheating.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've reheated small portions of mashed potatoes in the microwave. They take a long time, some poking and stirring to remove cold spots is defintely required, and whatever they are in or on gets REAL HOT by the time they are done. Covering with plastic wrap helps.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Add a bit of milk over the top of the cold potatoes and perhaps a bit of butter, as well. When they are warm, stir the milk and butter in. Go easy on the amount of milk and butter, too. Don't want weepy potatoes..
Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've reheated small portions of mashed potatoes in the microwave. They take a long time, some poking and stirring to remove cold spots is defintely required, and whatever they are in or on gets REAL HOT by the time they are done. Covering with plastic wrap helps.
I'd avoid that plastic wrap if for no other reason than plastic gives off nasty toxins when heated in the microwave. Plus, it tends to shrink to the potato mass. A paper towel is much safer, both for your health and the eco system.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I am going to transport my mashed potatoes in a slow cooker that has been warmed. I mash and mix them in the pot they were cooked in and immediatly transfer them to the warmed crock pot.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I'd avoid that plastic wrap if for no other reason than plastic gives off nasty toxins when heated in the microwave. Plus, it tends to shrink to the potato mass. A paper towel is much safer, both for your health and the eco system.
Toxins? I didn't know that. I am always reheating leftover plates of a previous night's dinner in the microwave and just poke some holes in the plastic wrap. And yes, it adheres to the food, but it lifts right off.... I didn't know it gave off toxins. I'll have to read the box when I get back inside the house.
And here I was worried about that chili
Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Some plastic wraps contain components that can generate carcinogens. All you have to do is keep an inch of head space between the food and the plastic-direct contact is necessary for any transfer to the food to occur. Also, poking a hole or two in the wrap should prevent it from shrinking down to the top of the food as it cools.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Sous Chef

imagine if you had reheated the chili in plastic! The world is full of dangers :) These dioxins come from microwaving plastic in contact with fat.... I try to transfer things but for my work lunches its just too much of a pain to bring glass containers.... in general I use old pyrex glass containers w/ lids that I picked up at yard sales for my microwaving and storage.

as for the potatoes I would think microwaving smaller portions at a time instead of a huge bowl would help and stir alot
Old 11-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Master Chef

I put the potatoes in a deep baking dish rather than a bowl or casserole, so they will reheat more evenly.

Tags
None