"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #181
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger!

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.
I just wanted to add that I've done this wonderful recipe dozens of times over the years but I mixed it up somewhat last night by adding some chopped fresh spinach leaves and cooked bacon to the layers, then drizzling a little balsamic vinegar on top before adding the buttered Panko bread crumbs.
I served the individual casseroles as a main course.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #182
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,935
Sounds like really nice additions to an already great dish, Kay! Yum. I so need to make this, I love mushrooms.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #183
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have cheese with large natural holes in it? That is Swiss cheese. I always have it in the house. It has a smoky, nutty flavor. And it melts just great. The kind of cheese you want for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Unless the store has another name for it, for us any cheese with holes is labeled Swiss Cheese.
Ah, it sounds like Emmenthal. Thanks, Addie
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #184
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger!

I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish.

Mushrooms Gratin
(per person)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both)
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese

Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.
I made this tonight and it was so good we all wished I'd made twice as much. I used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had, but I'll be making this again and trying swiss cheese next time This is definitely a keeper!
TJcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #185
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,598
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJcat View Post
I made this tonight and it was so good we all wished I'd made twice as much. I used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had, but I'll be making this again and trying swiss cheese next time This is definitely a keeper!
Waving from near Montreal. Welcome to DC. Yes, this is definitely a yummy recipe.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #186
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,247
Wow, this one's still hanging around?

So glad you liked it!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #187
Senior Cook
 
Littlechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 362
This mushroom side dish has become a thanksgiving tradition on our table every year.
Littlechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #188
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just wanted to add that I've done this wonderful recipe dozens of times over the years but I mixed it up somewhat last night by adding some chopped fresh spinach leaves and cooked bacon to the layers, then drizzling a little balsamic vinegar on top before adding the buttered Panko bread crumbs.
I served the individual casseroles as a main course.
This sounds like a perfect side for our teeny tiny TGD dinner! I’m not gonna tell you, though, what I’m adding, Kayelle! Thanks for the recipe!
__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #189
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,498
I've just read this entire post from start to finish, talk about falling in a rabbit hole! LOL... love it and can't wait to try!

Think some pictures would be appropriate of the different ways this dish has been done, hmm?
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #190
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,880
Mushroom Crack, I love the stuff and make it at least once a month.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #191
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,598
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mushroom Crack, I love the stuff and make it at least once a month.
Do you use the bread crumbs on top? Do you substitute something? Just leave that out?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #192
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you use the bread crumbs on top? Do you substitute something? Just leave that out?

Sometimes, slivered almonds. Otherwise, I just leave it out.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Mushrooms Gratin This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! :wink: I usually make this individually in onion soup bowls, large ramekins or single serving casserole dishes. It could also be done in a larger casserole or baking dish. [B]Mushrooms Gratin[/B] (per person) 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, crimini or a combination of both) 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic to taste Salt and Pepper to taste 1/3 cup Grated Swiss Cheese 2 tbsp buttered bread crumbs 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Place half the mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with half the grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out. 5 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×