"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #31
Head Chef

Way back when microwaves were just coming out for home use and still pretty expensive so a lot of people, including me, didn't have one, the place I had just started to work at did. Well, since I didn't know how to use one, I asked one of the girls who had been there a while and used it how long it took to cook a potato with the microwave. She told me about 10 minutes. I told her thanks and went to the kitchen. Assuming that the 10 minutes meant cooking time, I put in the potato, set the timer and the power and went back to work while my lunch cooked. OOPS! Guess what, potatoes can catch on fire and rather spectacularly at that. After multiple apologies and a heck of a clean-up I did get to keep my job, had only been there a couple of weeks when it happened. Learned my lesson about not getting full details with that one.

The best BP I've ever had came from a lunch spot in the mall. They cooked them in a pizza oven, don't know what temp but they were always fluffy and soft. My favorite was the old standard of butter, cheddar, bacon and sour cream. These were HUGE potatoes. You definitely got your money's worth in potato and toppings.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
Oh, and I do occasionally steam broccoli in the microwave. But that'll be my secret.
It's also really good for steaming asparagus. I trim, divide the bunch in half, wet paper towels (enough for under and over) and put the tips of each half in toward the center so they are a little more protected. Much easier to control the cooking and they are never over-cooked. Plus, I don't have an asparagus cooker so I would either have to use a really big pot or cut them up instead of leaving whole spears. I usually start out with 2 minutes on high for 2 servings of the pencil asparagus and check from there until crisp tender.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #33
Head Chef

Question

Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavour compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavour compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.
No, but I have had both russet and sweet done "caveman" style, directly in the coals.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I do that all the time. You need to put it in two layers of foil. I usually brush the outside with a bit of EVOO before wrapping the potato. Takes about as long as it does in the oven. I like them...they are a bit drier than those done in the oven.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend of mine from Greece taught me how to make these with fresh chopped rosemary (instead of the oregano). LOVE them.

Greek Potatoes Oven-Roasted And Delicious!) Recipe - Food.com
Old 08-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavor compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.
I've done in the bone fire, after fire dies down, put potato in the embers with or without foil, (if you do not mind get your hand and face dirty ) bake till done. Really depends on the size of the potato. I prefer white/yellow potato, not red.

One cannot describe the flavor of fire bake d potato, especially without foil. It is absolutely amazing. Wrapped in foil is also good, but closer to that of oven baked.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A friend of mine from Greece taught me how to make these with fresh chopped rosemary (instead of the oregano). LOVE them.

An hour and 20 minutes @425ºF seems like an awful long time for potato wedges.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

And water and oil don't make a solution. The oil will float on top. I think I'll stick with my pan-roasted method, which takes about 20-25 minutes to cook.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #40
Head Chef

Wonder what the purpose of the water is? At best I might be inclined to use stock instead. Any liquid would evaporate fairly fast anyway + get absorbed into the potatoes.

Tags
potato, recipe

Potato Recipes The rain kind of changed our plans so I made my coffee, and vegetated in bed watching TV and looking up some recipes on the laptop. Brunch was in my immediate future. I had one sm.-med. red potato left. First I was thinking home fries (lots of variations for those), then decided on a potato pancake. I got my guidance from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network site. I say "guidance" because I'm making it for one, so I've gotten used to winging it with recipes. I shredded the potato and squeezed out the moisture using a cheesecloth and put that in a small bowl. In a small fry pan I sautéed a small amount of chopped onion in a little olive oil and added 1 clove of crushed garlic to that. I added that to the potato along with a handful of grated parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and chopped fresh basil. And, I had a small amount of grated cheddar and crumbled bacon I had used for a cauliflower crust grilled cheese, so I mixed that in too. No egg or flour in this recipe. I added a little more olive oil to the pan and then added and pressed down the potato mixture in the heated pan. After peeking at the bottom for doneness, I gently flipped it over. To my amazement, it flipped over perfectly. I slid it onto the plate when done and put it back in the low oven with my turkey bacon to keep warm while I fried an egg. Then plopped that egg right on top! Not only pretty... but delicious! [URL=http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/janetmillr/media/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/janetmillr/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Would love to seem some more potato recipes (potato skins, home fries, potato cakes, etc.) A little hint that saved a step when making home fries. I cut the potatoes up super little... added seasonings and grated onion... didn't have to par cook the potatoes. 4 stars 1 reviews