"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Potatoes - To Peel or Not to Peel

I'm having a raging debate with my lovely wife about whether to peel russet potatoes before making home made potato chips, french fries, and mashed potatoes. I prefer to keep the skins on as I have been told the skin includes most of the vitamins and fiber. I also like the color and texture, even in the mashed potatoes.

What do you think?

BBQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Yo Tom..

Welcome to DC come and visit often....

Lose the debate!

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Sous Chef
keep em on when roasting lose em when mashing and frying...
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, the peels do contain everything you say. Personally, I LOVE the skin on russets and never peel mine when I make potato salad, fries, etc. However, I do peel them most of the time for mashed because Buck prefers traditional mashed potatoes.

Has your wife said why she wants the potatoes peeled? And, has she ever tried eating dishes prepared with potatoes with their skins on? Maybe it's just a reluctance on her part to try something unfamiliar and expecting it to taste bad.

How about a compromise? 50 percent of the time make your potato dishes with the skins on. The other half of the time, peel them.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Here's my $0.02 . . . . . . .

For home made chips and french fries, I'd say scrub 'em good and leave 'em on. Upon completion of cooking, salt 'em with sea salt (I'm on a sea salt kick). For a different twist, cook the chips in olive oil. Not sure what the temp would be, but SuperTarget makes a bagged chip that is nothing more then Russets, olive oil, and sea salt. I love 'em!

As for mashed spuds, I'm not a fan of leaving all of the russet skin on. I've had roughly peeled, with some skin on, and it was good. I'm just not a fan of leaving the skin all on when using russets. When using reds/news I do leave the skins on. That's my preference, anyways.

As long as they're scrubbed well, I don't think there is a particularly wrong way. I'd eat 'em pretty much however they were placed in front of me, preferences aside.
Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Head Chef
i love the skin on .. my DW does not ..
so .. we take the skin off ...
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I leave the skin on all potatoes, no matter what way they are prepared, because "the skin includes most of the vitamins and fiber. I also like the color and texture, even in the mashed potatoes."

I leave them on reds and russets and yukon golds in salad, oven fries, mashed and whatever . Fortunately DH wants them included also. (for the fiber and vitamins and minerals too)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
The only thing I take the skin off for is for mashed potatos, but then I don't like lumps in my mashed potatos either.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef
really depends on the recipe and the meal. I like the skins on for most cooking .
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love the skins.. Paul doesn't....so I take them off if he's home.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote