"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sandyj...

Roast potatoes (the British way!)

Use 'fluffy' potatoes like King Edward or Maris Piper or Pentland. Par boil for about 8-12 minutes in boiling then drain really well.... shake the pan over a medium heat with a lid on - this causes the surface of the potatoes to become slightly roughened...

Then put into a hot oven in some HOT oil (pref sunflower) and cook in the usual way, ensuring that you baste the taters occasionally whilst cooking.

Result: crisp and golden on the outside, fluffy and cooked on the inside... The best accompaniment to a roast - whether lamb, beef, chicken or pork

Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Oh my....could you send us some of those kinds of potatoes to the U.S. I have never heard of them. Has anyone else? Sounds like a great way to make roasted potatoes too.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Glassoff
Oh my....could you send us some of those kinds of potatoes to the U.S. I have never heard of them. Has anyone else? Sounds like a great way to make roasted potatoes too.

Sorry - they are all what we term 'floury' type potatoes - ie not 'waxy'.... I'm sure there are American equivalents?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

The British have a unique climate, and some of the varieties that flourish there don't work so well in many parts of the U.S. And vice versa.
I used to get a Thompson & Morgan seed catalogue every year (British), and loved looking at all the interesting varieties of vegies and flowers they offered.
It was then that I found that "corgettes" were English Zucchini.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Master Chef

Humm .... now, where did the UK get there 'taters from????

Von - here in America we would call those types of potato - Irish, Idaho, Russett, Burbank, or baking potatoes. Another "on the edge" type that would also work well would be a Yukon Gold - a little less starch and a more creamy "buttery" flavor - but would work just as well.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Thanks Michael~
I'll try that with my Yukons.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

If there is any way on earth you can score some, take my word for it (calorie laden as it may be) baking your roast potatoes for the final lag of their journey in duck or goose fat is so sublime you'll wake up in the middle of the night craving them!!!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Michael, you are right - the UK got the potato from America - but the varieties we have here are quite distinct and different from those that I've eaten in the US. I think it must be our climate as Constance said.... Pink Fir Apple, Charlotte, Kerr's Pink, golden wonder, maris piper, King Edward, Jersey Royals, La Ratte (OK, I admit, they are a French variety!) and far too many others to list here.

and IC is right, when roasted in goose or duck fat they are very 'more-ish'..... but that treat is only for Christmas Day's blow-out in our household!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Do you peel the potatoes first? or bake them skin on?
Do you use small, medium or large potatoes?
What gas number do you use? (somewhere I found a Regulo-Farenhiedt conversion chart)
About how long do you leave them in the oven?

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef

If they are main crop, floury potatoes such as King Edward or Maris Piper then I peel them and cut them into halves or quarters, depending on the size of the potatoes.

If I roast new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals or Nicola or Charlotte, then I scrub them clean and leave the skins on and roast tossed in a little olive oil, lots of fresh rosemary from the garden and maldon sea salt.

I cook them about Gas mark 7 for an hour or until they are brown and crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.

But if I'm cooking them as part of a roast beef/yorkshire pudding type meal, then I cook them for longer, at whatever temp I'm cooking the beef, just turning up the heat for the last half hour or so when I put the Yorkshire pud in the oven..

Tags
None