"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Soggy skillet potatoes..what am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am 23 years old and i have been cooking for about two years now so i am fairly new to cooking. I have so many questions and concerns but right i would like to know what i am doing wrong....

Everytime i cook thinly sliced potatoes on a skillet with some oil they alway come out soggy. I would love to know how to make them crispy.

Thank you.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Don't put too many in at one time. They will steam, not fry if you crowd the skillet

Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

No wonder! Thank you so much :)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You may also need a little higher temp.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Tell us exactly what you are doing and we will have a better idea on what the issue is. Both suggestions so far could be right.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Depending on what size skillet I'm using I will 1/2 and 1/2 olive oil/butter, turn heat on to about medium (electric stove) between 6 and 7, put potatoes in when hot, cover till about 1/2 of the way done (few minutes when thin) and then remove cover, turn up heat to mid-high and turn only a few times (as to not make them fall apart) when crispy to my liking. I've found that when I do this it helps to make sure the potato is able to finish cooking towards the end when I'm crisping them.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

My wife cooks these a lot Croatian style, she cuts the pots thin puts a layer in the oiled skillet sprinkles it with vegeta (a dry chicken stock powder) repeats a few times puts the lid on and cooks on a low heat for about 30 mins, then takes the lid off increases the heat and turns them a few times till some are very crisp and some are soft and gooeeeeee. The type of pot is very important Desiree or Roosters both red pots work the best, like with french fries new pot dont work.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

In my opinion, not having actually watched you cooking, I'd have to say that you are either overcrowding the pan and/or not heating the oil enough. Oh, and I'd skip the butter altogether. A mixture of olive oil and butter is great for adding flavour while sautéing, but for frying potatoes you need an oil that can take the heat, like canola or peanut oil, and you need to get it really hot, like close to the smoking point, before you add the potatoes. Oh, and you need to add the potatoes a few at a time because every time you add them, the temperature of the oil drops.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Tell us exactly what you are doing and we will have a better idea on what the issue is. Both suggestions so far could be right.

I preheat the skillet on med heat while i cut the potatoes. When the pan is hot i add canola oil then I immediately add the potaotoes. I tend to cover the entire pan in a single layer. I wait for them to brown then i turn them over and wait for those to brown. I use a fork to flip them over and sometimes i turn them a couple of times so they end up having a few punctures from the fork. Could that be the one of the reasons why?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Stoves differ but I'd do three things. First, go with a notch or two higher heat. Second, let the oil get good and hot before adding the potatoes. Third, make sure the potatoes are dry before adding them to the oil.

Tags
None