Sonny's Fried Cauliflower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I've never tried frying cauliflower. This article made me smile, and by the time I finished reading the ingredients and looking at the picture - I thought, this dish looks pretty good. :)

[size=+1]Sonny's Fried Cauliflower[/size]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-2]Copyright © 2003 by Bill Scifres[/size][/font]

[size=-1]07-04-03[/size]

“What’s that you say, Sonny . . . wait . . . let me turn up my trumpet . . . I thought you said (GASP!) FRIED CAULIFLOWER.”

You heard me right, Gram . . . you know more about cooking than anyone in the whole world, b-b-b-but I did it, Gram . . . I fried cauliflower--even burned it a little . . . and it was good.

“HOGWASH, Sonny! Nobody fries cauliflower . . . you steam it . . . and when it is nice and tender you melt butter over the top, and serve it hot. “

No, Gram! I fried it . . . I’ll admit that I steamed it a little first . . . but then I fried it in olive oil in my old iron skillet, and when it was done I fried a few strips of thick fresh side in the same skillet . . . really good, Gram!

“Well, I swan! In all my born days I never heard of anything so ridiculous, Sonny . . . here give me another whiff of my smelling salts . . . Ah! That’s better . . . but I still can’t believe it . . . I don’t know what’s gonna happen to you young folks . . . FRIED CAULIFLOWER? . . . what kind of fol-de-rol is that?”

I’m sorry to have gotten you all riled up, Gram . . . but there’s more . . . now brace yourself . . . I fried a few thick strips of fresh side in the same skillet when the cauliflower was nice and browned . . . and, Gram, I didn’t even flour the side . . . just fried it in the same skillet with a little salt and pepper.

“I can’t believe it, Sonny . . . you didn’t (GASP!) flour the side . . . this gets worse as it goes on . . . nobody fries fresh side without flouring it . . . that would be sacrilegious . . . I’ll bet you didn’t even make gravy to have with the side.“

No! I didn’t make gravy, Gram . . . but when the side was covered with the fryings in the skillet, I sprinkled finely-rolled crackers crumbs on the strips and did the same thing after I turned it . . . Wow! Those cracker crumbs browned right along with the side . . . it was great . . . I creamed some whole-kernel corn and served it with chilled sliced tomatoes topped with cottage cheese. “Well, you did something right, Sonny . . . it’s hard to beat creamed corn and chilled sliced tomatoes in the summertime . . . Here . . . help me to the couch, Sonny . . . and keep my salts handy . . . I don’t think I’m ever gonna understand what makes you youngsters tick . . . in the kitchen or anyplace else.”

Back
Top Bottom