"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Either roast them or shred and stir fry in a little bacon drippings and serve with crumbled bacon.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
Master Chef

WOW, I knew that I would get some good ideas from you guys!! I got some when I was at the store this morning. It'll give DH something else to say EWWW about. LOL I just have to try them though. I love green veggies for some reason. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

BigDog, you sound like DH, LOL!!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Texas, if you are not sure whether your DH is going to like them or not, I would recommend "Sprouts from outer space" which came from Mish, look to the link I gave you above and go to the page 2 reply #32. The sprouts will be hidden inside the meatballs and it would be easy to trick him into eating it. (We managed to fool Cris's daughter, who swears she detest any form of cabbage!!) Besides, it is delicious!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Head Chef

I like them simply steamed and buttered with sweet chestnuts, as is traditional at chrstmas, sometimes we add crispily fried bacon or pancetta too.

They should be deliciously flavourship, sweet with a nice bite of bitter, and definitely NOT overcooked....which is how people who don't like them have normally tasted, and smelled them!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Brussell Sprouts One Of My Faves...
I Like Mine Cooked In A Butter Sauce...
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I've never heard of them being red or purple. We like the baby brussel sprouts frozen better than fresh. I bring the salted water to a boil, put the brussel sprouts in and simmer just 2 or 3 minutes. Put a bit of butter on them and they are delicious.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I've never heard of them being red or purple. We like the baby brussel sprouts frozen better than fresh. I bring the salted water to a boil, put the brussel sprouts in and simmer just 2 or 3 minutes. Put a bit of butter on them and they are delicious.
When I was explaining what they looked like, for some reason, I was thinking that maybe they were a purpley color {not a word, I know }

Gosh, thanks for all the ideas, now I just have to figure out which one to do.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

Brussel Sprouts are an absolutely FABULOUS & vastly underused vegetable. Most people who dislike them do so because they remember being served old, seriously overcooked, mushy, bitter sprouts. Blech - even I wouldn't like them like that!!

Your best bet to enjoy them at their finest? Try to avoid purchasing fresh sprouts in those little plastic-covered containers. You really want to be able to pick & choose them from an open bin, or buy them fresh on the stalk - a marketing method becoming more frequent than it's usual spot at local farm stands. Choose tight little sprouts without yellowing leaves, etc. If good-quality fresh sprouts aren't available, head to your frozen food section. Sprouts are one of the vegetables very highly rated to be just as good, if not better, frozen. (I LOVE the "Hanover" brand of frozen "Petite Brussel Sprouts". Always sweet & delicious.)

Fresh sprouts should be trimmed of any tough outside leaves, as well as any excess fiber at the root end. Depending on size, they can then be cooked whole or halved in boiling water for about 5-6 minutes tops, drained, then tossed with butter, salt, & better. After this treatment they can also be added to any basic cream or cheese sauce - alone or with other vegetables. Other prep possibilities are blanching & then roasting them with other fall vegetables, blanching & serving them on crudite platters, or blanching them, separating them into individual little leaves & serving them dressed as a warm fall salad. Cookbooks & websearchs will yield you hundreds of ways to use this versatile & good-for-you brassica.

Even if you've hated them for years, it would pay you to give them another try - without overcooking them.

Oh, and Brussel Sprouts come in both green & PURPLE/RED varieties. In fact, there are two red-purple varieties, both of which rarely if ever show up in markets. To enjoy those you have to grow them yourself, & seed is very easy to obtain. Like most brassicas, they need cool weather to perform at their best, & a frost sweetens them up nicely. In fact, I picked & enjoyed sprouts I grew myself well into early December - even with snow on the ground.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
just heat em up with butter
:D
thats the way i like it
Old 09-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

make bubble and squeak

We eat Brussel Sprouts alllll the time. Usually plain or shredded and sauteed with garlic and olive oil.

I also make Bubble and Squeak with them instead of cabbage.

Tags
None