"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #11
Senior Cook

those good beans...

In my 30 odd years of cooking I have so rarely opened a can of beans myself - usually make them from scratch, being French Canadian - I leave the cans for my family when I am away for longer than a few days LOL

I decided when I read your recipe today that I should try it, especially since you mentioned those forgotten cans in the back of cupboards... since we are renovating part of our kitchen, said cans were relegated to the basement storage area a couple of weeks back - not a good thing!

Started with the equivalent of 4 cups chopped onion, which I let caramelize for 15 minutes... added 2 cups of chopped green and red sweet pepper, then 3 - 19-oz cans of beans, and 1 -28-oz can of lentils.

Added a small snack container of apple-tropical fruit and 1/3 cup maple syrup, some ketchup, dry mustard, cayenne pepper...

Did not use the suggested meat, as we are still semi-vegetarian...

It's WONDERFUL!!

Thank you for the inspiration...

Jocelyne
near Niagara Falls, Ontario

Old 10-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #12

Hi Jocelyne

Quite a quantity you are cooking there!

Thought your onion quantity was about right, and the pepper quantity appropriate, interesting that you added them early, but whose to say that's wrong? You'll get some interesting differences, as you indicate!

Lentils would be "interesting", being a British Canadian, these seldom appear in the Anglophone diet, but I can understand where these'd be equivalent to "my" kidney bean suggestion, so why not?

I think you'd find adding considerably to the amount of apple sauce (at least triple, it; you could even double that to 6x what you used..likewise adding garlic early and in quantity...

Likewise, try upping the maple syrup, and switching to a BBQ sauce...maybe, if you don't use the "campfire" variant of beans, a dash or so of chili powder...

I think you beat me with use of powdered mustard, as that would in fact be a superior way...

Can't disagree, if you want to take out the bacon, that won't necessarily "hurt" the recipe, just makes it less chewy!

Funny to think you are less than 30 miles away, probably Welland or thereabouts?

Lifter

Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Lifter

About the quantity, it seems like a lot but in our family this dish is a full meal - only bread added for a complete protein - so in effect there is enough only for two full meals for 4 adults.

We add the sweet chopped pepper as soon as the onion is caramelized, we let the pepper cook quite a lot before adding the beans, about 7 to 8 minutes, because some of us - namely the children (even though they are teens) - don't like to bite into "al dente" pepper pieces... (lol)

Lentils are not a part of the French Canadian tradition - at least not where I grew up - but we learned to incorporate them into many dishes as early as '93...

We have to be very careful about the amount of sugar (in all its forms, be it apple sauce or maple syrup) in our recipes for many health reasons. Once you begin to reduce the amount asked for, you find that an appreciation for sweetness develops rather rapidly and it's not needed to use a lot.

My mother has always used powdered mustard in her bean dishes and that is one thing I learned from her that I have continued to do over the years.

Look for an email about my location.

Thanks
Jocelyne
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I pretty much doctor up canned beans the same as everyone else:

chopped white onions (lots of them)
ketchup
tad of Bull's Eye bbq sauce
yellow mustard
powdered mustard
brown sugar
molasses
somtimes topped with bacon strips

Get the Bush's maple flavor and homestyle for a good combination. I can't really remember the names but this is close I think.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #15

Hi Elf

Abandon the molasses and brown sugar, and use maple syrup instead; then add a half a cup of applesauce to your mixture, and you'll be blown away with the quality of the result!

Lifter
Old 10-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm copying this and sticking it in the kitchen - can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Old 10-27-2004, 01:57 AM   #17

Do let us know your opinion, Elf, when you get there!

And you "tweaks" as well!

LOL!

Lifter
Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Lifter - I have the baked beans in the oven now - I can already tell ('cause I tasted them before I even put them in the oven) that the applesauce is going to be excellent!!!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The baked beans were great Lifter - the applesauce gave it another layer of flavor - sort of brightens things up a bit!!!! Thanks for the suggestions you gave me!!

Old 11-05-2004, 02:22 AM   #20

Thanks "Elf"!

You can get it up there a tad more with the fried up bacon, eliminating the ketchup and advancing the Bull's Eye to a quarter cup, and Dijon Mustard is worth a try, too...

And garlic, adding it early on...will add a pile of good flavour results...

Now that you may "trust" me with the freaky addition of applesauce! (LOL!) Try making the applesauce from scratch, and a bit "chunkier" in texture, and (along with the other "suggestions") you might be taking this another pace down the road...

But am seriously pleased you liked the results...

And/or try cooking it on a BBQ, with the top down (the BBQ's of course!) and some smoke going on in there... different taste to a solid recipe!

Lifter

Tags
None