"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Here is my mother's recipe!

My mom's as well.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Boston Baked Beans

A few years back our Legislature passed a bill that stated you could not call them Boston Baked Beans unless they are actually made in Boston. And we the taxpayers pay them for this foolishness. Happy Eating! Enjoy.
Well, if you can't call a sparkling wine Champagne if it doesn't come from the Champagne region, and you can't call a sweet onion a Vidalia onion unless it comes from a prescribed region in Georgia, then why could you call a bean a Boston Baked Bean unless it comes from Boston? Wouldn't that be kind of like Scotch whisky that was made in Canada?
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
Addie

Thanks a lot for the recipe.

I don't think I'll wait for cool weather to make it!!!!!!
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Thank you Addie.

Sometimes simple is the best.

Technique is sometimes more important then ingredients.

I love beans but sometimes they don't love me.

Or should I say those around me don't love me eating them.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Well, if you can't call a sparkling wine Champagne if it doesn't come from the Champagne region, and you can't call a sweet onion a Vidalia onion unless it comes from a prescribed region in Georgia, then why could you call a bean a Boston Baked Bean unless it comes from Boston? Wouldn't that be kind of like Scotch whisky that was made in Canada?
Because the flavor in Champagne and Vidalia onions is related to the soil, aka terroir, the grapes and onions, respectively, are grown in. That's not the case with Boston baked beans. The dish can be made anywhere and it will taste the same.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 511
it's got to be good! I was bouncing Addie's against my old standard -
basically the same with slightly different proportions, but adds a splash of paprika.

but I'm with Zagut - technique/method is everything in these kind of dishes. it's all in the wrist. these are not "remove from freezer and nuke for 25 minutes on high" dishes.

now, on to the brown bread.... metal coffee cans are hard to come by now-a-days. can't believe we're all still alive after making brown bread contained in all those poisons (yeah, right....) but regardless -

I don't have a decent BBB recipe - Addie - can you post your approach?
I promise to strip the paint off the can before I bake it, honest!
__________________
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
Thanks for taking the time to share your recipe, Addie. It sounds delicious.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Because the flavor in Champagne and Vidalia onions is related to the soil, aka terroir, the grapes and onions, respectively, are grown in. That's not the case with Boston baked beans. The dish can be made anywhere and it will taste the same.
Ya think?

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Good one tenspeed. You wouldn't recognize the Charles River today. It has been cleaned up so much, that you can't even find a dead body in it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
it's got to be good! I was bouncing Addie's against my old standard -
basically the same with slightly different proportions, but adds a splash of paprika.

but I'm with Zagut - technique/method is everything in these kind of dishes. it's all in the wrist. these are not "remove from freezer and nuke for 25 minutes on high" dishes.

now, on to the brown bread.... metal coffee cans are hard to come by now-a-days. can't believe we're all still alive after making brown bread contained in all those poisons (yeah, right....) but regardless -

I don't have a decent BBB recipe - Addie - can you post your approach?
I promise to strip the paint off the can before I bake it, honest!
You would have to haunt the antique shops and look for pudding steam pots to make it today. I haven't made Boston Brown Bread since my mother had me helping her. I would recommend buying it in a can with or without raisins. Your choice. It is a lot of work and sometime the ingredients can be very hard to find.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beans, dark brown sugar, molasses, salt pork

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.