"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I am not a fan of beans. But, I once had some wonderful baked beans at a friend's house. She used fresh beans from her garden and bear instead of pork.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks for your analysis, Chief. I agree with most of what you said. I just wanted to clarify for people who may not have read the recipe I posted that it's baked for 45 minutes after putting everything together, so the syrup does get that concentrated roasted flavor that only comes from dry heat.

I made that recipe for 19 family members at the beach house last week and everyone loved it. My mom, who has had her former MIL's scratch baked beans many times, thought they were as good as hers.

I might just do a blind taste test with friends this fall, just to see for myself.

Btw, Cooks Illustrated staff were shocked last year to find that they preferred canned cannellini beans to dried, except for a mail-order heirloom variety. One reason is that canned beans are cooked soon after harvest while dried beans can sit for months before they're sold. That can lead to too-dry beans that split when cooked or never become tender. They also change chemically, which changes the flavor and texture.

The science and art of cooking are endlessly fascinating to me.
Now if you could only learn to make ribs like we do up here in da U.P., you'd be perfect.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Now if you could only learn to make ribs like we do up here in da U.P., you'd be perfect.

Oh yeah? What's so special about yooper ribs? People have been smoking ribs in Virginia for centuries
Old 07-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Oh yeah? What's so special about yooper ribs? People have been smoking ribs in Virginia for centuries
Well come on up to my house and I'll show ya. If your ribs are like Carolina ribs, I was told by my cousin, who used my rib cooking technique and recipe, that her North Carolina guests ate the ribs and told her they were the best they'd ever eaten, anywhere. True story, even if it did make my head swell a bit.

That being said, like with the beans, there are so many great rib cooking techniques, and recipes out there, I would be a fool to say that mine were the best. But I'll let other people say that all day long.

One other thing, I've never been the guy who makes food like my parents did, just because that's the way its always been done. I figure, so they've been smoking ribs the same way in these parts for generations. To me, they've become stagant.

I'm the re-inventor, the experimenter, the engineer of food recipes. But like everyone else, I stand on the shoulders of some pretty great cooks before me, and use what they could give me, then expand upon that. Sometimes I can't improve on a great recipe. But sometimes I can.

I had to throw out that bit about comming up to the U.P. to learn how to cook ribs. I know you're a great cook in your own right. I couldn't let your head get too big. People always have to help me fit into my existing hats too.

I like to say to people that I get better looking every day. So if I look like this now, just think how strange I must have looked a couple of years back.

Poking fun is what I do, besides making the best ribs in the U.S.A.

Oh, wait, I didn't say that. It was my evil twin.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

All good. You stand on my shoulders and I'll stand on yours
Old 07-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
All good. You stand on my shoulders and I'll stand on yours
I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing us standing on each others shoulders at the same time. Could yo explain the physics of that?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing us standing on each others shoulders at the same time. Could yo explain the physics of that?

Nah, not my area of expertise
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #58
Executive Chef

I grew up very poor, but my mother would not go to any get-together without taking a dish. We went to a corn roast once and she took her home-baked beans. There were 2 other pots of baked beans, but at the end of the evening, her pot was empty, with spoon-scrape marks in the bottom of the pot. The other 2 still had some leftovers. That made her so happy, and I was so proud of her that day!

Unfortunately, I have never been able to duplicate her recipe, but Addie's recipe might do it!! In the meantime, it's Bush's Boston Recipe for me. LOL
Old 07-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I grew up very poor, but my mother would not go to any get-together without taking a dish. We went to a corn roast once and she took her home-baked beans. There were 2 other pots of baked beans, but at the end of the evening, her pot was empty, with spoon-scrape marks in the bottom of the pot. The other 2 still had some leftovers. That made her so happy, and I was so proud of her that day!

Unfortunately, I have never been able to duplicate her recipe, but Addie's recipe might do it!! In the meantime, it's Bush's Boston Recipe for me. LOL
I love cold beans. So since I don't make beans the old fashion way anymore, I will buy the Bush's Boston Recipe small can. Instead of putting it in the cabinet with the other canned goods, it goes right into the fridge. I keep telling myself that I am going to heat them up and eat them hot. Yeah, only in my nightmares. I had a small 1.5 quart bean pot. I gave it to Spike. I think I will 'borrow' it back this winter and make a small pot for my daughter. She is always talking about our Saturday night bean suppers. She even loved the Cod Fish cakes that I made for the beans along with the brown bread.

Thank you all for all of your nice remarks. I really appreciate them.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #60
Executive Chef

I really like bean dishes made from "scratch". There are so many great recipes. I'll be adding Addie's to our cookbook. Cuban style black beans are so much better from "scratch" when time allows, but canned black beans can be very tasty as well, given the proper doctoring!

Tags
beans, dark brown sugar, molasses, salt pork