"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I buy my beans from http://www.nativeseeds.org/ of Tuscon, AZ. Different varieties and very good. 1# of beans soaked in plenty of water by quick method of bringing to a boil, turn off heat, let stand 1 hr. Drain. Add fresh water, 1 chopped onion, 4 cloves chopped garlic, and 2 TBS olive oil and simmer until soft. Bean variety and dryness of beans determines length of time. Add seasonings of 1 tsp or more cumin to taste and salt if needed.
I frequently add a dried pasilla chile pepper when cooking. Beans cook well in a pressure cooker. I serve with sausage on the side.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I don't like to salt a liquid that I know is going to simmer for a long time, as it can reduce down a bit and concentrate the salt past my tolerance level. Also, addin a LOT of ham (which is what I like) has put so much salt into the beans that I don't need to add any extra.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
Master Chef

Well, even though the "toughening" part might be a myth, since I normally cook a smoked turkey thigh with my beans, that's all the salt they need.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This is an extended question from a "not so expert" about dried beans... I use them to line over the puff pastry to avoid excess rising when I precook it.
The beans will get "toasted" in the process, and I hate to throw them away as it seems like such a waste, but I have never been sure if they could be reusable. I tried to soak and cook them the other day like I usually do with normal "untoasted" beans, but they seemed to remain too dry inside. (one thing though, I forgot to add the baking soda while soaking..) Can they be recycled and recooked? If so what kind of additional treatments and considerations need to be taken?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
Master Chef

Oh goodness - don't even try to cook & eat beans that you've used to weight down pastry!!!!

But there's no need to waste them, either. I use the same beans over & over & over. Just pour them into a dish & allow them to cool, then keep them in a ziplock bag or jar until the next time you need them. I've been using the same beans for a few years now.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Oh goodness - don't even try to cook & eat beans that you've used to weight down pastry!!!!

But there's no need to waste them, either. I use the same beans over & over & over. Just pour them into a dish & allow them to cool, then keep them in a ziplock bag or jar until the next time you need them. I've been using the same beans for a few years now.
Ah Breezy... I never thought of reusing it this way!! (I was afraid it may get burnt too much and transcend some funk on the pastry shell...) I will try your method next time!! Thanks so much!!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
Executive Chef

This comes from the Michigan Bean Commission.

"Under cooking tips:

Add any acid substances, such as lemon juice, vinegar, tomatoes or wine, at the end of cooking time since acid makes beans firm."

It is my understanding that the beans will never completely soften up if the acid ingredient is added before or during cooking. The bean commission does not address salt in this regard.

Which reminds me of a joke.

Has anyone ever tried to cook dried soybeans? You must have this experience to appreciate this joke.

When cooking soybeans, add a sliver of granite. When the granite is tender, the soybeans are done.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks Buckytom. Now I have to ask the basics of a vegie stock...LOL...I'm that novice.

My hat is off to anyone who can call themself a good cook or masterchef. The topic is vast.

DLatch
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

simple beans

Thanks for posting Swann. Can your simmer, discribed below, be called a vegetable stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
I buy my beans from http://www.nativeseeds.org/ of Tuscon, AZ. Different varieties and very good. 1# of beans soaked in plenty of water by quick method of bringing to a boil, turn off heat, let stand 1 hr. Drain. Add fresh water, 1 chopped onion, 4 cloves chopped garlic, and 2 TBS olive oil and simmer until soft. Bean variety and dryness of beans determines length of time. Add seasonings of 1 tsp or more cumin to taste and salt if needed.
I frequently add a dried pasilla chile pepper when cooking. Beans cook well in a pressure cooker. I serve with sausage on the side.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

simple beans

Good information. I'm learning to taste by adding flavors, basically, one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
If I just had to add two ingredients to beans (apart from salt and pepper) it would be lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Or ev-oo and a herb, such as parsley.

Tags
None