"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I have some penne pasta in an airtight plastic container thats at least 3 years old. I'd like to use it up, but I have a very special homemade sauce tonight, and I don't want to ruin it by using inferior pasta.
I do have newer pasta I can use. What do you think?
It's probably fine, but why chance it? Use the newer stuff you have and toss that one!

My watchword for food is always "When in doubt, throw it out!"

Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylietron View Post
Honey or twinkies are the only food products that should stay in your cabinet three years.
and Heinz Ketchup! It's said that millennia from now when "they" dig up the remains of our civilization there will still be usable bottles of ketchup... they contain so much hfcs they will never spoil!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Homegrown beefsteak tomatoes - and roasted yet. You bet that's a special sauce. The simple sauces made with fresh, homegrown tomatoes are about the best sauces you can put on pasta. And beefsteaks are non existant in grocery stores. Good for you for putting the parmesan rind in along with it. Too often we throw the rind away. I use it in soups for a terrific finish. But three year old pasta...........That sauce deserved better.
You're right, DC. Even though the dish was delicious, it would have been even better with fresher pasta.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
About the only thing cheaper than macaroni is rice, so why even care if it's still good or not? Just toss it out and go buy another bag, box, or whatever. Even top quality, imported from Italy macaroni is less than 2 bucks a pound.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lady View Post
Pasta products can get small white specks on them if left sitting too long. That isn't good. However, when cooked in boiling water you can add 1 T. of powdered vitamin C to remedy that. It needs to be rinsed off in hot water after drained because then the Vit. C will leave a residue on the pasta.
Pasta is so cheap to buy I can't imagine going thru all that trouble to remedy 3 yr old pasta instead of just buying a fresh box.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
true, a bundle more than big enough to feed 6 people with Spaghetti only costs about 15 pence (about 30 cents).

although I wish Rice was cheaper as Caine says it is, in the UK it`s about 5x the cost of pasta.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
true, a bundle more than big enough to feed 6 people with Spaghetti only costs about 15 pence (about 30 cents).

although I wish Rice was cheaper as Caine says it is, in the UK it`s about 5x the cost of pasta.
I buy brown rice, either plain or jasmine, imported from Thailand, 99 cents for a two pound bag. Macroni, U.S. made, you can get for as little as 99 cents for a one pound bag or box.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Head Chef

Constance, your sauce recipe sounds delish. Glad everything turned out. I did some poking around on the net re shelf life of dried pasta - and it was about 2 years. Pasta goes fast around here, so I can't tell you if that is accurate or not.

I keep my tall pasta (spaghetti/linguine) in tall glass jars or smaller pasta (macaroni/shells) & rice, in glass jars with seal-tight lids. I use it w/i about 3 months (approx.), usually sooner.

Once I bought a (supposedly fresh) 3 lb package of spaghetti off the supermarket shelf, and put it in the pantry. When I opened the pkg, w/i a week, little bugs came out. I freaked, and threw almost everything away in my pantry. After that, I started putting rice, couscous, powdered milk, and coffee in the fridge.

Pasta and rice are so inexpensive - 99 cents or so. I go through my pantry about once a year and dump anything that's been hanging around - and refill my herbs as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks, Amy. The sauce was wonderful, and the pasta really did taste fine.

We happened to get lucky with the penne, but the 5 year old cheese tortellini are going in the trash can.

I like a well-stocked pantry, and have always been good about rotating my stock. My problem is, that since the youngest moved out and our nest is empty, we're using a lot less food, so I've been going through the older stuff and either using it up or throwing it out. You'd think tomato paste would last forever, but I when I opened several out-dated cans the other night, the paste came popping out before I got finished opening the can.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Pasta is so cheap to buy I can't imagine going thru all that trouble to remedy 3 yr old pasta instead of just buying a fresh box.
Agreed, if you have any doubt, just buy more.

Tags
None