First homemade pasta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Afternoon Skittle 68,

Firstly, I am in agreement that it is a bit laborious ! However, well worth the kneading ! I appreciate your lovely note.

To answer you about the Wine; traditional Emilia Romagna Pasta home made has wine in it just like its Ribbon Pasta ( fettuccini for example ) that shall be served with traditional Bolognese Veal Ragú ... Even though Marsala is from Sicily it is quite common to find it in recipes in northern Italia mainland.

I have a number of family repertoire pasta doughs I use --- and Pizza doughs.

Bread baking: this is marvelous ! and quite an art in itself !

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
@Margi- thanks for your input! I kneaded mine by hand. I recently started making bread, which I knead by hand as well, so that's what gave me the idea to make my own pasta. I used to use my bread machine for the kneading and rising, but I like the added flavor from rising at a lower temp for a longer period of time. Anyway, that translated to hand kneading my pasta.

I have a tiny kitchen, and I actually split my pasta in 4 pieces to roll it out. Probably why I was able to get it so thin. It was much more labor intensive than I had anticipated tho, and wouldn't want to do it again without a pasta roller.

Oh, Margi, you put wine in pasta?? That's very interesting! Any particular recipe you use that type of pasta for?

There is something comforting about kneading by hand. Be it pasta or bread. You can just daydream or sing any song that you fancy. I usually sing Latin hymns when I knead by hand. Maybe I think I am doing the Lords work. :chef:

My Grandmom Margherite

Skittle,

:ROFLMAO: Margherite had always told me, THE WAY TO A MAN´s HEART, IS THROUGH HIS STOMACH ... :LOL:

Then, my Mom has always told me too. It is sort of a joke amongst the women in our family ( my 2 married daughters with children of their own ) ... is an old adage, however there is some truth in it at least in the Mediterranean ! Or the words are changed, if the gent is the Chef of the home.

We can see, that baking bread Skittle and the gent on your side, well ...

Have nice day.
Margi.

Last edited:
Margi Cintrano said:
Skittle,

:ROFLMAO: Margherite had always told me, THE WAY TO A MAN´s HEART, IS THROUGH HIS STOMACH ... :LOL:

Then, my Mom has always told me too. It is sort of a joke amongst the women in our family ( my 2 married daughters with children of their own ) ... is an old adage, however there is some truth in it at least in the Mediterranean ! Or the words are changed, if the gent is the Chef of the home.

We can see, that baking bread Skittle and the gent on your side, well ...

Have nice day.
Margi.

Ah yes- I can speak to the truth of that statement!!! The boyfriend is quite a catch, but I do think he forgot how to feed himself since we started dating! He does remember how to fire up the grill now and then though ;)

I'm a new age bread maker- I set up my computer and watch my favorite show while I knead lol

@ Addie,

Good Morning,

Firstly, thank you for your feedback about Viticultural matters.

The employment of wine originated in the Emilia Romagna, Abruzzi e Molise regions of Italia, and hails from The ancient Shepherd´s Pastural culinary philosophy. We have travelled far and wide through Abruzzi´s endless mountains and sheer cliffs and thus, this region, has discouraged outside exterior influences and this topography has helped to preserve a distinct culinary repertoire.

What do I prepare with Wine ( cordial shot glass ) of Wine in Pasta Dough ?

Tortellini, ravioli which is placed in il Brodo di Mi Madre, a Broth based on home made vegetable stock with root veggies and field greens, ( often made with chicken stock now ) and for flavouring; the end of a Rind of Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino Sardo and thus, the Ravioli is filled with cheeses, and is placed afloat in the broth ... TRUE SHEPHERD´S FARE ! This broth is wonderful on a cold day. I had posted a reply, on one of Kadesma´s broths --- which is similar, however, from my viewpoint, the product of Pecorino or Parmesano in Italia is incomparable to any other place on earth.

It is very common in the Mediterranean rural topographies to also employ wine in cheesemaking ...

Furthermore, Wine is employed in cheesemaking throughout the Mediterranean and other countries too ;

1. Spain: Murcia Wine Cheese
2. England: Cheddar with Red Wine !

*** Italia too has its specialties ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Last edited:
The rind of the cheese in the pasta gravy. Can't imagine a gravy without it. I use to have to cut it up when the kids were small. They all wanted a piece of it to suck on. I could have put a sackful of rinds in and it still wouldn't have been enough. :yum:

Cordial Shot Glass Of Wine In Dough

@ Addie,

Good Morning Once Again,

I believe I have answered this question on the Roast Abruzzi Lamb. However, to cut to the chase:

The endless mountains and sheer cliffs of the Abruzzi e Molise regions of Italia, and the Emilia Romagna region known for their renowned:

Tortellini or Ravioli; are the main reasons besides the flavor its provides & it cuts cholesterol from the cheese ! We have very LOW !

In this region, shepherds have a broth ( Il Brodo di Mi Madre ) called my Mother´s broth which is made from:

a cured aged rind of Pecorino or Reggiano Parmesano

vegetable stock of root vegetables and field greens and sometimes chicken stock

Tortellini filled with cheeses are floated on top of the broth

Thus, it is traditional in this region and we enjoy the Shepherd´s Historical Culinary Philosophy.

Shepherds drink wine !!

Another point, many cheeses are made with wine too in the Mediterranean and other countries too, for example the UK .

I believe Kadesma and I hadd discussed Il Brodo di Mi Madre on her Italian broth thread.

Thanks for posting your feedback.
Margi.
:chef:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom