"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

The rice was not sticky. I question if I needed to fry it longer however. My rice was still slightly moist but not overly so. I may have had too much oil by the end of it and not enough of the other flavors and spices. If I had to pick a particular style of fried rice I'd have to say my favorite is Vietnamese fried rice.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Pork fat? No way. I gurantee you nobody in any of Chineese restaurants uses any pork fat. So unhealthy.
In my post, I was referring to pork meat, not the fat. Really just slightly more healthy, but more palatable and "Pork Fried Rice" is on almost every Chinese menu that I've ever seen.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
In my post, I was referring to pork meat, not the fat. Really just slightly more healthy, but more palatable and "Pork Fried Rice" is on almost every Chinese menu that I've ever seen.
I don't know what you were refering to, but I responded to somebody who recomended to use pork fat. Ofcourse pork meat is a staple in Chinese restaurants.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
Master Chef

Have not been in Vietnamese restaurant for ages, cannot remember their fried rice. But When I fry rice I put about a tea spoon of oil and probably a table spoon of soy sauce. You really do not need to much oil. Just make sure the pan is very hot and the bottom of it is well covered with oil. If your rice was moist from soy sauce it is good. If it was mmoist from leftover water from cooking then it is not good. How did you drain rice? Did you keep it in regrigerator? I mention before you might want to slightly under cook rice.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #25
Master Chef

I don't think anyone has stressed that your cooked rice MUST be COLD and DRY before you start frying it. Cooked rice refrigerated overnight is best. I fry my bacon pieces first to render the fat......(Horror )......and fry the rice in it. I add some chopped celery also. Then I whisk up an egg or two, add some sesame oil, with sesame seeds and pour it into a a non stick skillet to form a very thin "egg pancake".
Remove it from the skillet and roll it up. Slice, and add the egg ribbons to the rice mixture. Now I flavor the mixture with a little soy sauce and a pinch of hot pepper flakes. Add some sliced green onions and defrosted peas at the end.

Like most everyone has said.......keep the tomato sauce for Italian cooking.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #26
Master Chef

He did mentioned that the rice was day old.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenFan69
The rice was not sticky. I question if I needed to fry it longer however. My rice was still slightly moist but not overly so. I may have had too much oil by the end of it and not enough of the other flavors and spices. If I had to pick a particular style of fried rice I'd have to say my favorite is Vietnamese fried rice.
I looked up recipes specifically for vietnamese fried rice and the most common ingredients seem to be (besides rice) onion or shallots, garlic, carrots, soy sauce, fish sauce or oyster sauce, egg, peas and cilantro either added at the end or chopped and sprinkled on top as garnish. Some also called for a little sugar and rice wine vinegar. I don't know how authentic they are, just did a google search and looked at the first ten or so recipes that came up.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't know what you were refering to, but I responded to somebody who recomended to use pork fat. Ofcourse pork meat is a staple in Chinese restaurants.
In post #17, I suggested shredded pork, diced.

In post #18, KrakenFan69 said "I'll try some pork fat. That sounds good."

In post #20, you said "Pork fat? No way. I gurantee you nobody in any of Chineese restaurants uses any pork fat."

The Chinese don't throw away pork fat. It's either used in recipes for flavoring or rendered and used in some other manner. The health aspect of pork fat isn't even a consideration in Chinese restaurant cooking. I have several friends who cook for Chinese restaurants. Nothing edible is thrown away in any Chinese restaurant I've ever known of. Their dishes are designed to use every scrap of possible food and byproducts of that food. It's simply how they do things. Waste is almost a crime in their culture.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #29
Master Chef

Whatever. Just as long as nobody uses pork fat for frying rice. You kill the taste of soy sauce. Pork fat is too strong of a flavor. You need something with less flavor than the main flavor you want to have in the end. And as far as I know (I could be wrong) it is soy sauce and not pork fat that you want rice to taste like.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Whatever. Just as long as nobody uses pork fat for frying rice. You kill the taste of soy sauce. Pork fat is too strong of a flavor. You need something with less flavor than the main flavor you want to have in the end. And as far as I know (I could be wrong) it is soy sauce and not pork fat that you want rice to taste like.
Whatever?

What does that mean? When I've heard that expression before, it's generally meant to convey a total lack of interest in what the person being responded to has said. Hardly an appropriate sentiment for a discussion forum.

I'm very sorry, but pork fat is used in fried rice in many, many restaurants. It adds to the flavor and doesn't overpower anything. Fried rice flavors depend on what meal the rice is eaten with. When preparing it for a pork meal, bits of pork and/or pork fat are used as a common ingredient.

Beef or beef fat is added to that which is eaten with beef meals. Chicken or chicken fat are used when the fried rice is eaten with chicken meals.

Of course, the quantity added is proportionate to the end taste desired. Too much of anything would create a lack of balance in the dish. The balance of tastes is what most Oriental cooks strive for.

Tags
rice