Pasta sauce with no tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have unfortunately discovered that cooked tomatoes make my arthritis worse, even in small amounts.

Any suggestions for pasta sauces that don't have tomatoes? So far, I can think of four.

1. Fettucine Alfredo
  2. Pasta carbonara
  3. Kayelle's clams with linguine
  4. Dragon Lady sesame noodles

Last week, I made a pan sauce with chicken drippings and served it with orrechiette. After pan-roasting chicken thighs, I sautéed shallots and garlic, deglazed with white wine, reduced it, and added chicken broth. I reduced that and heated chopped artichoke hearts and grape tomatoes in the liquid (replace the tomatoes with something else). Then I stirred in butter to emulsify and topped the dish with parsley. It came out really well.
0102192009.jpg

Taxi, I posted this recipe here a few years ago and you might enjoy it.
It will soon be fresh asparagus season.

Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta with Walnuts and Lemon. (serves 2)

7 ounces dried spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
1/2 lb. cleaned raw shrimp
1 pound asparagus spears
1/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
2 or 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Zest of one lemon
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a strong boil. Season with salt, then add pasta. Cook according to package directions for "al dente." Set aside about 1 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
While water is coming to a boil, cut off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus. Cut the remainder into 1/3-inch rounds, leaving the tips intact. Heat olive oil and garlic in a large pan over medium heat for five minutes, then discard smashed garlic. Add shrimp, asparagus, salt, pepper, and 1/3 cup of the reserved pasta water. Cover pan and cook asparagus and shrimp until shrimp are just pink and asparagus is crisp tender to the bite.
Once pasta is finished, purée 1/3 of the cooked asparagus (reserve tips) and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water in a food processor, blender, or immersion blender until smooth.
Add puréed asparagus back to pan, along with rest of the asparagus and cooked shrimps. Mix in cooked pasta, lemon zest, and more pasta water as needed to keep the sauce loose. Heat on low for a minute or two to allow pasta to absorb some of the sauce. Serve immediately, topped with chopped toasted walnuts. ________________

I usually make a variety of dishes based on garlic and oil.

Garlic and oil with Broccoli
G & O Primavera ( any veggies you like, sprinkle with parm cheese if you like)
G & O with sautéed Brussel sprouts , oregano and Parm cheese
G & O with spinach and feta cheese ( usually server room temp)

Nick Stellino has a bunch as well.
Here is one with sausages and broccoli, using a sauce based on chicken stock ( I make a vegetarian version, which is good, so Im guessing the real thing would be better).

Nick Stellino - Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli and Sausages

Here is a similar one with Sausage and Artichokes. It doesn't call for pasta, but when I make it ( veg version) I mix in some rigatoni at the end, which works real well.

http://www.nickstellino.com/Recipes/Menu/Recipe/?men=20&rec=864

Oh yeah, another Primavera version I do is with grilled veggies.
Basically pasta with G&O, mixed with Grilled veggies. Grilled Mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and broccoli taste the best ( for me). I like the dish because the 'grilled' flavor is incorporated throughout the whole dish.

Are you OK with mushrooms Taxlady? Some of my favorites are with mushrooms, and no tomatoes. I also have countless oriental noodle recipes in my software, if you like those, though most are loaded with garlic and hot peppers.

This one originally called for shredded mushrooms and square noodles, but I had a FP with a julienne disk, which worked even better. The homemade pasta with it is heavenly, but it's delicious on regular pasta, too. For those, I chop the mushrooms up, as noted in the recipe.

Pasta with mushrooms

1/2 oz dried boletus or porcini mushrooms
1 lb mushrooms
1 medium onion; chopped
1/2 tb minced fresh rosemary (Optional, but delicious)
4 oz butter
3 tb parsley (fresh); chopped
1/2 cup(s) parmesan cheese; plus more for table
1 tsp salt; to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper; to taste
1 lb pasta, spirals or small shells

A. Soak dried mushrooms in 1 1/2 c warm water for 1 hr. Massage the caps to release the grit, then remove the mushrooms and press out water. Chop very fine and set aside. Strain water to remove grit and set aside. Chop mushrooms coarsely (or jullienne, if using square noodles) and set aside.

B. Heat 4 tb butter and onion in 12" sauté pan over med. heat. Cook 6-7 min,. or until golden, then add dried mushrooms and soaking water. Cook until water is boiled away, and add mushrooms, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cover; cook over low heat 25-30 min., or until most liquid has cooked away. Remove lid, and boil most away, if it is watery.

C. Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water to al dente; drain, and toss with mushrooms and remaining butter, parsley, and the parmesan. Serve with additional cheese on the side, if desired.

Note: Square noodles, made with 3 eggs and 2 1/4 c flour, may be used for the pasta.

Olive oil may be substituted for the butter, and 2 tsp chopped rosemary added.

I prefer the dried boletus to porcini in this, as the smoky flavor is stronger, but either may be used.

Cremini Mushrooms are particularly good in this, but portabellas overpower the dried mushroom flavor.

Here's another recipe I discovered decades ago, that my roommate and I would make frequently, as he often kept nova in the fridge for his bagels.

Smoked Salmon with Fresh Fasta and Cream Sauce

1/4 lb smoked salmon (nova)
3 tb unsalted butter
2 tb cognac
1/2 lb fresh pasta
1/2 cup(s) heavy cream; warmed to almost a simmer
1/3 cup(s) parmesan cheese; grated

A. Cut the salmon and pasta as desired - I usually cut the pasta into fettucini, to make it easier, and the salmon into about 3/4x1" pieces. Bring a small pot of water to a boil for the pasta, and salt to taste.

B. Add pasta to water - only takes a min. or two, since it is fresh - best to do with a helper, to take care of the pasta, so they are done at the same time.. Meanwhile, heat butter in a 10-12" skillet over med-high heat, until hot, but not browning. Add nova, toss until it loses it's bright pink color, then add cognac and ignite. Add cream and bring to a boil, then toss in noodles. Toss well to mix, toss with half the cheese, add salt and pepper to taste (should be enough salt), and serve, topped with remaining cheese.

Last edited:
In Swedish school we have Pasta with cheese and ham sauce.

But noodles dishes are plenty with out tomatoes, check out Ramen

I've been wanting to make a recipe that I saw o a food travel show recently (Zimmern?), Mussels Carbonara.

Instead of using guanciale, you use the meat and liquor from steamed mussels.

Brown butter and sage sauce for gnocchi or wild mushroom ravioli, homemade of course. Olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and anchovies. I don't use tomatoes in the red chili I serve over spaghetti, with cheddar cheese. I almost forgot about the sweet onion sauce we have over homemade spinach pasta.

Last edited:
I usually make a variety of dishes based on garlic and oil.

Garlic and oil with Broccoli
G & O Primavera ( any veggies you like, sprinkle with parm cheese if you like)
G & O with sautéed Brussel sprouts , oregano and Parm cheese
G & O with spinach and feta cheese ( usually server room temp)

Nick Stellino has a bunch as well.
Here is one with sausages and broccoli, using a sauce based on chicken stock ( I make a vegetarian version, which is good, so Im guessing the real thing would be better).

Nick Stellino - Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli and Sausages

Here is a similar one with Sausage and Artichokes. It doesn't call for pasta, but when I make it ( veg version) I mix in some rigatoni at the end, which works real well.

Nick Stellino - Braised Sausage with Artichoke

I like to sauté fresh veggies and herbs (and lots of garlic) in good olive oil and stir in some pasta. Very simple, and very easy. Surprisingly, it is not heavy. In fact, if you don't go nuts with the olive oil, it has a nice lightness to it. A little fresh cracked pepper, and a dusting of Parmigiano Reggiano makes it perfect!

CD

Back
Top Bottom