Rice question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this for Asian food, or any food? I put all kinds of things in rice.

- Last week, I made rice pilaf by sautéing onion and garlic in butter and oil. Then I added rice and toasted it for a few minutes, then added Penzeys Mural of Flavor seasoning and chicken stock and cooked till done.
- A couple days later, I warmed up the leftover rice and added sumac, za'atar, golden raisins and toasted pine nuts.
- Quick Mexican rice: Sauté onion and garlic in oil, add 1 cup rice and toast for a few minutes, add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock and 1/2 cup salsa. Cook till done.

Add a teaspoon or two of any seasoning mix you're using in the main dish.

$_57.JPG

I have always just put soy sauce on my rice, anyone have any other suggestions?

Sure, jambalaya! Chicken and yellow rice. Mirin, rice vinegar and sugar for sushi rice. I know folks that just put butter on rice.

I love pineapple fried rice. I use fish sauce and soy sauce in it. A few cashews or other nuts add a nice crunch.

When I was in college, I would make what my roommates called "yummy rice". It was just Minute Rice made with Velveeta. They loved it. (Hey, we were poor!)

Last edited:
Besides steamed rice I sprinkle Furikake on plain pasta as well. Nothing else on the pasta except Furikake. I usually keep about a half a dozen different varieties of this stuff in the pantry, my favorite being the wasabi furikake. Rock!

Besides steamed rice I sprinkle Furikake on plain pasta as well. Nothing else on the pasta except Furikake. I usually keep about a half a dozen different varieties of this stuff in the pantry, my favorite being the wasabi furikake. Rock!

I have several varieties on hand, too. It rocks!

I use rice as a base for anything I would use to put over pasta or potatoes, Shrek is not on the low carb diet.

I like a nice veggie stir-fry...with rice for Shrek and zoodles for me.

I like Rice-a-Roni and I've been trying to figure out ways to make it. I found out the vermillion is just very thin spaghetti, so the next time I make rice, I'm going to try adding that to it. I usually always add chicken broth, garlic powder, and onion powder to the rice I make, with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne.

I may also start to experiment around with Parmesan cheese rice.

I like Rice-a-Roni and I've been trying to figure out ways to make it. I found out the vermillion is just very thin spaghetti, so the next time I make rice, I'm going to try adding that to it. I usually always add chicken broth, garlic powder, and onion powder to the rice I make, with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne.

I may also start to experiment around with Parmesan cheese rice.

Take a look at the Near East brand of rice products. Their rice pilaf is almost as good as home made.

Take a look at the Near East brand of rice products. Their rice pilaf is almost as good as home made.

With one exception, I can't bring myself to pay the markup on boxed rice mixes. There's probably about 30 cents worth of rice in them! I have so many seasonings in my cabinets and fridge that I can make any of the prepared rice dishes myself.

The only exception is Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice, since the wild rice takes so much longer to cook than white rice.

Last edited:
With one exception, I can't bring myself to pay the markup on boxed rice mixes. There's probably about 30 cents worth of rice in them! I have so many seasonings in my cabinets and fridge that I can make any of the prepared rice dishes myself...

Certainly, home made is better and cheaper. I was responding to the poster's Rice-a-roni comment.

Back
Top Bottom