To wash rice or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I just read that washing rice strips away the nutrients. I always washed my rice but am wondering now if I should in the future. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you are using enriched white rice, you can rinse off the nutrients that have been dusted onto the rice. It should say on the package not to wash the rice.

I use brown rice, usually brown basmati rice. I wash my rice. I don't lose nutrients that way. I wash it because I get a small band of cooked on scum in the pot if I don't wash it first. i figure that grey scum is dirt.

The above video talks about washing white and brown rice, it also talks about cooking methods for white and brown rice. Talks about vitamins and arsenic.
Buy rice that is not grown in soil with arsenic. California rice, Lundburg rice, are good bets.

I sometimes wash rice and sometimes I don't.
Weevils can be a problem. If they are there, I wash.

I rinse my rice. It is Texas rice, so it's going to kill me soon... or at least that's what "they" say.

CD

Like GG, I like sticky rice. But yes, I do sometimes rinse rice before cooking. Depends on my mood and what I want it for.

Like GG, I like sticky rice. But yes, I do sometimes rinse rice before cooking. Depends on my mood and what I want it for.

I generally don't make sticky rice, but I can't stand "al dente" rice. The Texas long grain rice I use is hard to make sticky, unless you cook it badly... which I've done from time to time.

CD

I rinse my rice. It is Texas rice, so it's going to kill me soon... or at least that's what "they" say.

CD
R.I.P. Casey Dog.

White rice I rinse until the water runs clear. Brown rice, no. In most cases, I prefer brown rice.

If I want sticky rice I will use rice that comes out sticky, such as Cal Rose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom