"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
tasty rice

I use rice with everything (I swear)....I have a rice cooker. I find when I don't feel in the mood to add spices other ingredients to the rice, I just pour some marinade over the top and mix it in....I've tried lemon, sweet and sour, honey and a few other flavors and they all work well and they're not as salty as soy sauce is. There's lots of flavorful marinades available and they're not just for marinating

The best way to get a grip on life, is to just let go!
princess_fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I just recently created a rice dish. It is very flavorful and low in salt if you prefer. I makes a great snack or side dish.

I begin by chopping up a medium onion
Then dicing 2 large carrots
I love garlic, so I use 2 cloves minced

I saute the onion in oil to soften couple min.
then add the garlic and cook for 2 min.
then add 1 cup rice dry and cook for couple min.
I then add 2 cups water and salt to taste.
Cook the rice as usual.
I add the carrots half way through so they come out a bit firm. Adding them along with the water will result in softer carrots.

The onion and garlic really add a good natural flavor. I imagine you could substitute any veggie for the carrots. But it's lowfat, and lowsalt. A great diet dish.

Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 PM   #13
Head Chef
That does look very good, Ferrari! Welcome to the board, by the way! And thank you for the recipe!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
i've posted this before under brown rice variations, but it was originally made with yellow spanish rice. he's the original recipe:

jimmy armstrong's savory rice:

1 tsp lawry's seasoned salt
4 bay leaves
2 cloves
5 black peppercorns, crushed
1 cup yellow rice
2 cups of water
1/2 cup freshly steamed peas
a few roasted red pepper strips

in a wide saucepan that has a good covering lid, add the water and the bay leaves, cloves, and black peppercorns. bring to a boil, then turn the heat off and let it cool. add the rice and seasoned salt. bring to a boil again, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover tightly. let cook until all of the water is absorbed. plate and top with the freshly steamed peas and red pepper strips.

a few variations on this are to add minced browned garlic or garlic powder, a few crushed berries of allspice, and a 1/3 cup of browned onions.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #15
Head Chef
Carnivore, here is a rice and lentil dish I make that maybe of interest to you. I have won a BHG contest with this recipe. It's simple, healthy and extremely flavorful.

2 cups of basmati rice - Cook them like you would pasta. So first bring water to a boil, add salt, add rice and cook rapidly and then drain it in a colander when the rice is almost done and reserve
1 cup of lentils - You can make them ahead of time just cook them with a little salt until aldente and reserve
1/4 cup of freshly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup of freshly chopped mint
1 jalapeno finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp of whole cumin seeds
1 medium yellow onions finely sliced
1 cup of peas (frozen are fine)
1 red bell pepper cut into strips
2 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
lots of freshly cracked black pepper

In a large saute pan add the oil. When it's hot add the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Next add the onions and cook them until they are golden brown. Follow with the garlic and jalapeno. Next add the red bell pepper and peas and saute for another minute. Next add the lentils, rice, salt and black pepper, mint and cilantro. Stir to combine.

Cover and let it cook on low for atleast 30-40 minutes so the flavors can mingle.

Serve with a simple yogurt raita - Raita is made with plain yogurt to which you can add some chopped onion, tomato, cucumber and grated carrots. Add some salt, pepper and juice of half a lemon or lime. Stir and serve.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:48 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I also like to cook rice and lentils and yakutas recipe is a well balanced complete meal.

Here is another recipe for flavoured sweet rice.

2 cups rice (Basmati) washed and drained
2 cups sugar
3-4 cloves
3-4 cardamoms split open
one small stick cinnamon
2 tb sp each of almonds and cashewnuts slivered
3 tb sp raisins
1 tb sp ghee (clarified butter) Unsalted butter can also be used.
1/2 tea spoon saffron strands
2 tb spoon warm milk

In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms. stir and cook till they splutter.

add rice and fry for a minute. Then add 4 cups of water. when it comes to a boil reduce heat and cover it. cook till nearly done.

Next add the sugar, raisins, almonds and cashewnuts.-
Mix saffron in warm milk and pour into the rice. Mix well but gently.

Again cover and cook till rice is well done. Rice grains should be separate and not turn mushy.

Serve hot. It has a real tantalising aroma.

It's a funny thing about life, if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it. - W. S. Maugham
ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
Master Chef
sushi!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate rice but love sushi. i think it's the contrast of textures and the vinagered rice.
maybe you'd take well to risotto, too.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Deb's Spanish Rice:

1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
Chop up finely.
Saute in 2 tbs olive oil.
Add 3 cups water
Bring to boil, add:
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry
1 pak chicken bouillion or cube
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups rice
1 pak Sasson Goya con Culantro y Achiote (seasoning packet)
Bring to boil again, lower heat, cover, cook 20 minutes. Bring heat up and cook additional 15 minutes.
debthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Brazilian Rice

2 cups uncooked rice. 3 tablespoons shortening. 1 onion, thinly sliced. 1 peeled, chopped tomato or 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce. 2 - 2 1/4 cups boiling water. 1 teaspoon salt

Use long grain rice. Melt shortening in medium sized skillet. Use oil, lard, margarine, or bacon fat, but not butter. Fry the rice with onion, gently stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture has a swishing sound. This takes about 10 minutes over a low flame. Add tomato, stir once or twice, remove from heat and pour 2 cups of boiling water which have been mixed with the salt over the fried rice. Stir once or twice and return to heat and bring to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook 20 or 25 minutes until all water has evaporated. Taste 1 or 2 grains of rice to see if they are cooked. If not, add the other 1/4 cup of boiling water. Do not stir. When rice is done, remove from heat, uncover and allow some of the steam to evaporate. Makes about 6 cups.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:54 AM   #20
Senior Cook
...any methods/recipes for cooking good, plain rice that is flavorful but subtle?
The best rice for boiling/steaming is long grain (I generally prefer Basmati) – the short grain (such as Arborio) is the finest in the world for puddings.

Wash the rice under cold water until not a trace of white is left in the water (you’re removing the excess starch). Per half-cup of long-grain rice, you'll need 3 pints of (vigorously) boiling, salted water in a saucepan. Rain in the rinsed rice and boil gently 9-10 minutes (no longer!).

Pour rice into a colander and set it on top of the saucepan holding 1½ cups simmering water. Put a lid on top of the rice and steam for exactly 8 minutes.

Trust me, the rice granules will be separate, fluffy, and delicious. (Indicentally, this rice will also hold well, without become clods of sticky Turkish delight.)

An ideal combination of flavourings for this rice include plumped raisins, lightly toasted slivered almonds, and a pinch of ground cumin.

"Where love has entered as the seasoning of food, I believe that it will please anyone." ~ Plautus: Casina
Konditor is offline   Reply With Quote