"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Tempeh...Have never tried it. Recipes???

I love to find new foods to eat that I've somehow missed throughout my life.

Tempeh is one I've never even seen, much less eaten.

While I'm searching my town for some that is pre-made, if anyone has either recipes for making it or recipes for cooking it, please post them here for me!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

I googled it..... I wish they had not shown that pic of it.

Good luck with that...lol.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've tried it many times and have given it a permanent 2 thumbs down. Sorry, I have no recipes I would share.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

So, instead of recipes, I get two posts that say it looks bad and isn't liked.

That's just a bit odd.

I mean....really!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Sorry, that's the best I can do. Hopefully someone who likes it will come forward with help for you. Have you tried Epicurious?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Sorry, that's the best I can do. Hopefully someone who likes it will come forward with help for you. Have you tried Epicurious?
That's alright ChefJune. Yes, I found about a zillion net-recipes for it, but would rather know one from a person here that has cooked it and enjoyed it.

Kind of like all the other recipes here on DC. Every one of them can be found in hundreds of variations on the net, but most of the people here prefer to have a recipe that has been made by a member they trust.

I was kinda bustin your and Nikki's chops. Ha! It's like the sushi thread. One guy posted "I hate sushi! I found that hilarious.

It's like when Grandma would say "I love you my little one" and a kid would say "I hate it when you fart, Grandma!" Not really the answer being searched for......
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Head Chef

This is what I googled. It has some recipes and info on the stuff...

How To Prepare Tempeh
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
This is what I googled. It has some recipes and info on the stuff...

How To Prepare Tempeh
Thanks Nikki, that's a good link. My oldest sister is a vegan who enjoys eating it, but only buys it pre-made. Since I'm retired and have all the time in the world, I would like to make my own from a TNT recipe of one of the members here.

One of the neat things about both Tofu and Tempeh that I've discovered is that it adopts almost any flavor as it's own.

Very high in protein, Zero fat...both are a wonderful substitute for meat, or as an addition to a meat dish. Both can be cooked in a hundred different ways from crisp to mush. Creamed into a dish or diced into stew.

A healthy and inexpensive way to get fat out of a diet and keep protein in a diet.

I've cooked Tofu in ways that had many so-called Tofu haters loving it. Comments like "Wow, I never knew it could taste like this!" "I'd eat this pretty often".

I imagine that Tempeh is the same way. Almost any food can be made to look terrible and/or taste like something the fell from the south end of a north bound cow. My own Mom, bless her heart, could burn water. She was the only person I've ever met in my life that could ruin any food.

I'll see what the thread turns into.....

I wish you guys could have seen me laughing after my last post. Sometimes I crack me up!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Thanks Nikki, that's a good link. My oldest sister is a vegan who enjoys eating it, but only buys it pre-made. Since I'm retired and have all the time in the world, I would like to make my own from a TNT recipe of one of the members here.

One of the neat things about both Tofu and Tempeh that I've discovered is that it adopts almost any flavor as it's own.

Very high in protein, Zero fat...both are a wonderful substitute for meat, or as an addition to a meat dish. Both can be cooked in a hundred different ways from crisp to mush. Creamed into a dish or diced into stew.

A healthy and inexpensive way to get fat out of a diet and keep protein in a diet.

I've cooked Tofu in ways that had many so-called Tofu haters loving it. Comments like "Wow, I never knew it could taste like this!" "I'd eat this pretty often".

I imagine that Tempeh is the same way. Almost any food can be made to look terrible and/or taste like something the fell from the south end of a north bound cow. My own Mom, bless her heart, could burn water. She was the only person I've ever met in my life that could ruin any food.

I'll see what the thread turns into.....

I wish you guys could have seen me laughing after my last post. Sometimes I crack me up!
Why you're very welcome..

Tofu and Tempeh sound like they should be twin sister and brother.
I see that Tempeh's made out of a soy product also.... Tim you're like Mikey from the Life cereal tv commercial...lol. But I'm done raggin' on ya,lol. I'll let someone leave you some tasty recipes for this gorgeous
hunk of.....stuff.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Head Chef

vyapti a member here who is not very active anymore may have some good recipies on his blog. Our Veggie Kitchen: Search results for tempeh

Tags
None