"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #21
Head Chef

I'd like to offer a special thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas!

I have learned that pasta, as with all things, requires practice, practice to be able to "intuit" the feel of the dough going in and coming out of the roller. And thanks to so many here, especially Darkstream, I have improved immensely...after about 35-40 tries since originally posting this thread. The agreements I have with all of you are too numerous to mention on a variety of points!

The biggest solution for me in making ravioli was employing a flouring/folding then re-rolling technique to create a much thinner pasta layer, moreover cooking the ravioli in barely simmerine broth, instead of a boiling solution. My family is truly much happier these days...!

Next on my OCD horizons is to continue practicing the flouring/folding/rolling thinner and thinner technique to produce a super-thin layer tantamount to phyllo pastry to make strudel!

(Best wishes and prayers are welcomed here....!)

Old 11-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #22
Master Chef

Husband uses 1 egg to 3/4 cup AP flour, pinch of salt, with a very high success rate. For what it is worth, he uses egg beaters (I believe it is 1/4 cup=1 egg) more often than whole eggs (simply because it is easier to have them on hand). Yes, we did experiment with all kinds of supposedly more 'authentic' flours, but remember that the "authentic" flour is used with the "authentic" eggs and "authentic" other ingredients. Humidity, water, size of eggs, size of yolk, etc, differ from place to place, and plain old AP flour seems to work better than specialty flours.

He used to make all our pasta from scratch, but then we bought a pasta maker from hell (which I finally threw out). I'm now looking for a new one so we can get back to "normal". (In the past we've owned Atlas and Mercato, but this was an Imperia and it was so poorly milled that it shredded the dough instead of cutting it). If you have great friends with great kids, making pasta is a fun thing to do with them.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by on 06-Oct-2004 Darkstream
A NOTE ON FLOUR
This is a notorious problem in any international cooking forum...Basically, pasta is made from durham wheat, a hard (high in gluten) wheat that is also used in bread making...The recipes above use Canadian wholewheat and white durham flour. Since most of you appear to live in the USA, and Canada is just a stones throw away (comparatively), you SHOULD be able to get proper flour.

But if not, then you should use a strong bread flour. If it is not strong enough, you can add one or two tablespoons of cornflour to the wheat to increase the gluten content.
Hi Darkstream - I was re-reading this thread (most excellent advice!) but I'm confused why cornflour increases the gluten content. Please enlighten. TIA
Old 12-06-2004, 07:42 AM   #24
Master Chef

If I felt I needed to increase the protien content, I would use vital wheat gluten. It's available in local supermarkets around here.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #25
Sous Chef

re - using cornflour to increase gluten content

Quote:
Originally Posted by on 05-Dec-2004 subfuscpersona
Quote:
Originally Posted by on 06-Oct-2004 Darkstream
A NOTE ON FLOUR
This is a notorious problem in any international cooking forum...Basically, pasta is made from durham wheat, a hard (high in gluten) wheat that is also used in bread making...you SHOULD be able to get proper flour...But if not, then you should use a strong bread flour. If it is not strong enough, you can add one or two tablespoons of cornflour to the wheat to increase the gluten content.
Hi Darkstream - I was re-reading this thread (most excellent advice!) but I'm confused why cornflour increases the gluten content. Please enlighten. TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by on 06-Dec-2004 Goodweed of the North
If I felt I needed to increase the protien content, I would use vital wheat gluten.
So would I. To my knowledge cornflour contains no gluten. That's why I'm confused by Darkstream's recommendation.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #26
Master Chef

I spent 6-months going crazy trying to figure this out .... but I now own an Italian/English - English/Italian dictionary .... and if you really want them I can point you to several on-line resources on "international" flour composition and grading.

Ah, yes .. flour .... there is NO way to get a direct comparison between American flours and European flours ... especially from France, Germany, or Italy since the US doesn't use the same grading methods. Since we're talking about pasta - I'll skip the French and German stuff ...

Dried pasta in Italy is, by law, only durham wheat flour and water. If the flour originates from durham wheat grown in Italy it is called Semolina. If it comes from flour ground from durham wheat grown in, and imported from, Canada it is called Mannitoba. In the US - durham wheat ground into flour, regardless of where it was grown, is either called Semolina or Durham Wheat flour.

American's can go nuts trying to find Italian "Type 00" flour to make "authentic" Italian homemade pasta (which is an egg pasta). Although I can not find any Italian source that states it specifically - Type 00 must relate to how finely the flour is milled since there are no less than 7 types of Type 00 flour, with different ash/protent/gluten contents all for different purposes. Italian flours seem to fall into two catagories - Type (a finer milled flour) and a Calibration (coarser milled). In Italy, you would just pick up a bag of "Type 00 for pasta" and be done with it.

In America, if we want to make "homemade pasta" comperable to Italian homemade noodles, it seems the Italian immigrants are right - just us plain old American AP flour.

What does an Italian in America do to make a more substantial pasta dough - like for lasagna noodles, manicotti, etc. ? They don't go rushing around looking for something special like corn flour, gluten flour, etc. - they just add an extra egg yolk to the recipe! Well, that is if you can trust the Italian cooks on TV such as Carlo Middione, Lidia Bastianich, Nick Stellino, or Biba Caggiano - and I swear I saw Mario Batali do it a couple of times but he didn't explain why.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Well, I think you are in fact probably right. Cornflour (I am not talking corn meal/polenta, but the white fine powder used in Chinese sauces) is as I understand it made from maize. And maize products do not contain gluten, which is why the are recommended to those who have gluten allergy.

I remember reading somewhere that adding cornflour would help if the flour you were using to make pasta was too soft. I have tried it, and it has worked for me. It seems to add extra starch or something that elasticises the dough.

But at the end of the day, why don't you simply use Canadian durum wheat bread and pasta flour? Canada is NOT that far away from America. If you can get it in Italy (a LOT of "Italian" pasta is made from Canadian wheat), you MUST be able to get it in America.

Or is it a prohibited substance in the US?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #28
Master Chef

Darkstream - the fine white corn powder used in Chinese sauces is usually corn starch, not corn flour.

Believe it or not, we grow durum wheat here in the US, too. The problem is that not every store carries it - I've got 5 stores around me that I shop at for different things and only 2 carry semolina flour. The stuff available to me is from Bob's Red Mill in Oregon - Bob's No. 1 Semolina for Pasta.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Two great nations divided by a common language.

Go with the corn starch, and insist that your retailers supply you with the products YOU want, not what they want to supply.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #30
Head Chef

Ahhhh, the great advice continues on this thread!

My continuing thanks and best wishes to all!

Tags
None