Why are there different shapes of pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traditionally, manicotti would be stuffed with various cheese, usually of Itallian origin. Comnbinations might inclued Paremsan, Mozzarella, and Asiago, or Ricotta, Cottage Cheese, and Fontina. Personally, I usually use a combination of good cheddar, cottage cheese, and Muenster. Then, the stuffed pasta shells are baked, like lasagna, with a rich tomato-based sauce.

I usually have some tomato sauce mixed in with my cheese filling along with oregano, sweet basil, thyme, and rosemary. Add a bit of minced peppers for an extra kick.

A mushroom/cheese/ground beef filling is also very good. You can stuff manicotti, rigatoni, and jumbo shells. Just par-boil them first, stuff, and bake with sauce.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

goboenomo said:
Don't they have other pastas for stuffing?
Ravioli, Tortellini and Cappelletti

There's lots. Just look on your supermarket shelves. You can even make youre own fresh pasta and use it to make ravioli. Or, you can use wonton and eggroll skins to wrap around different fillings. Check with Urmaniac. She know a bunch about pasta.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My point was
they have those for stuffing...
why stuff the others that are much more difficult to stuff?

Though tortellini require a bit of skills and experience to make them right, ravioli and cannelloni (that is the correct Italian name for manicotti) are not difficult at all to stuff... also a homemade pasta, even if you don't own a pasta maker, with a bit of patience you can make a delicious treat, so much better than the store bought dry pasta. Also you can just use your imagination for a creative stuffing and experiment, as long as you know some basics for right combinations of flavours and maintaining a right texture.
If you are interested in any recipe/item in particular, I will give you more detailed recipe and tips:chef:

Im not looking at any recipes now.

hmmm
here's a crazy thought!

take a marshmallow
and make a cut on the side a put 2 or 3 chocolate chips in the middle
then lay it on the pasta dough... or i guess a pastry dough
before you fold it
drizzle caramel on the marshmallow then fold it over... deep fry it
then drizzle more caramel and some chocolate over top and then sprinkle icing sugar on it!

what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom