"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Head Chef
Afghan Rice

guys i found this recipe on some site,found it interesting,here goes...

1 chicken,cut into serving pieces.
1 onion chopped
1 carrot,chopped
7 fresh tomatoes(purree them)
salt(to taste)
ground black peppper(to taste)
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
10 whole cardamom seeds
10 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 c rice(washed and presoaked)

Saute onions and carrots in oil,add chicken,and all the spices.Continue to cook(you might need to add a little water).When the chicken is halfway done,add the tomato puree.Continue cooking over low heat until chicken is done.Do not over cook.remove chicken from pot and set aside.now,add rice to the pot and cook on low heat ,you might need to add half a cup of water for the rice to be done,but dont over cook them,they shouldnt be mushy.to serve,place rice on a paltter and spread chicken pieces on top.

Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for a while.

About 8-9 years ago or so, I was over at a friend of a friend's house who was Afghan. He served a dish similar to what you described, except his also had eggplant in it. I really liked that dish.

Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Head Chef
i know...i've eaten afghan and iranian rice,and they r delicious,somewhat similar....hey u can add black raisins too,i personally love a little sweet taste in this rice dish,and i've actually eaten afghan rice with raisins a couple times....they make the rice taste even better...
let me know the results if u try the recipe
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote