"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I remember when Raskin-Robbins had the best ice cream. I coulldn't wait for summer and peach ice cream. I haven't found anything like that in 40 years.
remember when the ice cream shoppes opened on memorial day and closed on labor day? i love that they are open year round now.

i used to love carvel's pumpkin and egg nog ice cream's in the fall/winter.

my fav is coffee ice cream w/chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) in a sugar cone

Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch View Post
Oh yes! Red's tamales were great. We could get them when I lived in Modesto about 20 years ago, but I haven't seen them since.

My grandmother used to make a wonderful "luncheon dish" for her craft circle that was the Hormel canned tamales removed from their paper and cut in thirds, mixed with a can of golden hominy and a can of cream of chicken soup. She'd put it all in a casserole and top with some grated cheese and bake until bubbly. Darn that was good. I'll still make it on one of those nights when we need comfort food.
I'm coming in to this discussion late, but I'd sure like to know if anyone has come up with a recipe for Red's Tamales! And as far as Casper's Hot Dogs go - they are the best! A really good Casper's is on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill. One lady there has been pumping out Casper dogs for over 50 years. As a kid in Richmond - when it was Richmond, before redevelopment - the Doggie Diner stand-up counter on 23rd and Macdonald served the BEST Pastrami sandwiches in the world. All gone now along with Gordon's drive in. Life wasn't quite as "tricky" then plus it was considerably less hectic and violent in our area ... I mean, I'm just saying.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

"Tangy ...but never incendiary!"

OH how fun! I am always coming out with Red's Tamales radio commercial. The add would start with "Tuesday is Red's Tamale Day" Then at the end a Mexican accented voice would say: "Tangy but never incendiary!" This comes out whenever we are cooking mexican food!
I grew up in Sacramento until about the 70's. It was a great trip down memory lane. I found this place by Googling Red's Tamales.
Hope you can come up with a recipe!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
remember when the ice cream shoppes opened on memorial day and closed on labor day? i love that they are open year round now.

i used to love carvel's pumpkin and egg nog ice cream's in the fall/winter.

my fav is coffee ice cream w/chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) in a sugar cone
Apologies for continuing this off-topic conversation, but many years ago when I still lived in LI, NY, hubby & I were making one of our many pilgrimages out to the east end of LI to hit all the farm stands with their fabulous fresh produce. We stopped by a Carvel store for some ice cream, & were puzzled by numerous large blobs of orange "something" strewed all over the parking lot. Needless to say, without realizing, I ordered a "pumpkin" ice cream cone, & after one taste realized what all those orange-colored blobs in the parking lot were .

No offense to those who like it, but apparently it's a very acquired taste - lol!!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Reds, and the similar XLNT tamales were my ultimate comfort food growing up near Bakersfield in the 50's. XLNT are still available in Southern California and parts of Northern and Nevada, and I always bring some back to Minnesota when I am in California. When I checked at their web site, they will be shipping to the rest of the country before Christmas 2010.

Probably like my other favorite from home, linguica, it will be available for a price that makes it for special occasions only.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

I grew up on Red's Hot Tamales in the Bay Area in California. I've been trying to find out about them for years. I would also like a recipe for them. They might have been practically meatless, but they were the best tasting Tamales. No other Tamales have ever come close. I've looked for recipes, I remember the taste, but I have never been able to duplicate it.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Tuesday is Red's Tamale day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento View Post
OH how fun! I am always coming out with Red's Tamales radio commercial. The add would start with "Tuesday is Red's Tamale Day" Then at the end a Mexican accented voice would say: "Tangy but never incendiary!" This comes out whenever we are cooking mexican food!
I grew up in Sacramento until about the 70's. It was a great trip down memory lane. I found this place by Googling Red's Tamales.
Hope you can come up with a recipe!
That voice was none other than the late Mel Blanc...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

There is a "tribute" webby site for DD (google it)

I can't count how many DD hot dogs I ate during my youth (so long ago)...

San Lorenzo at Hesperian & Llewelling...mostly middle class suburbanites

Hayweird on Mission & B...cowboys and hell's angels

Oakland at Latham Sq (Broadway & Telegiraffe) office workers and bus riders (it was a major AC Transit transfer point)

Would I like them now...???

Maybe...

Maybe not...

Yet it was such a recognisable icon (the dog head) ... and I can't help but wonder IF the artist that created the heads was infulenced by famous cartoonist Ub Iwerks...it's almost a direct copy of Ub's signature eyes, nose, mouth, and general style...

There are 3 of the dog heads mounted on a trailer...as I understand it they live either in Emeryville or over on Treasure Island....and they're sometimes taken out on road trips...They's shown up in Noo Yawk Citee, Washington DC, and Burning Man...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #50
Master Chef

My husband grew up buying his tamales from an old African-American man who sold them from a wagon in some park in Chicago. He was in his teens before he realized that tamales were not "soul" food, but actually Mexican!

Tags
None