"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

i just read an article in my local newspaper about how eastern european take-out places are booming in my area. there a many immigrants from there where both parents now work "american" hours here, but they still crave the foods of their ancestry, which are notorious for long prep and cooking times. so the meals are prepared in several traditions, from polish to slovakian, to hungarian and so on.
we're also planning our next family event in a restaurant called "the royal warsaw".
i hope i don't fall on my dupa!

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #32
Cook

sorry if I sounded heavy on the Eastern Europe thing and Balkans, have been there, have a son-in-law and famly from there-much history. They fled Croatia came to the US via 6 years in Kosovo after a very comfortable life in Croatia. Family had been there for 300 years-but religion split the former Yugo to shatters. He is 1/2 and half. So he grew up in Croatia, mother was Serb late father, Muslim so he became a refugee-man without a country and is so dang proud to be an American citizen now, and cooks awesome food.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #33
Head Chef

I'm looking for a Serbian pickled cabbage salad recipe called Kupus. It's just pickled thinly sliced cabbage with goat cheese and black olives, tossed in some vinaigrette. I hope someone knows about this... Thanks!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #34
Senior Cook

As faras I know Kupus is only pickled cabbage.
What you do with it afterwards...? I think is up to you.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #35
Cook

I'll ask Milka about Kupus, she was a chef at a huge hotel in Croatia. If I don't answer for a few it means daughter is having the baby-their secondf, a little sister for Marko.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantihhh
I'll ask Milka about Kupus, she was a chef at a huge hotel in Croatia. If I don't answer for a few it means daughter is having the baby-their secondf, a little sister for Marko.
Thanks Shantih. I hope to hear from you about what Milka says...
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Hello, people, I am new here, but as I'd like to promote Balkan cuisine (wonderful, but still undiscovered in the rest of the world) - I will try to help. :)

"Kupus" means "cabbage" and it can be both pickled and fresh. The combination with cheese and olives is not so common for Balkan countries, so I guess it was the invention of some clever chef. (Sounds tasty anyway.) But as pickled cabbage ("Kiseli kupus", to be precise) is never combined with anything except dried red hot paprika and oil, I guess it had to be fresh cabbage. The cheese was probably a simple white cheese (you can always try with feta as a good substitute). :)

P.S. I forgot the main part - for a good kupus salad, you have to cut it to really thin slices; add oil first, then salt, and vinegar in the end (the red vinegar, made of wine, is the best choice). But if you want the secret of the pickled cabbage... well, first you must have a separate cellar room for that - if you don't want your house smell like... pickled cabbage. :)

Tags
None