Filipino Chicken Adobo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This was requested at the dinner thread. It can also be done with pork.

2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
1/2 cup low sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup whole garlic cloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. whole peppercorns
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. Sriracha hot sauce
4 cups water
Chopped green onions for garnish

Marinate the chicken in the mixture without the water for at least 30 minutes. Dry off the chicken cubes, reserving the marinade, and fry in a small amount of oil to color.
Add the marinade and water to the chicken and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer uncovered 40-60 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice or cooked Lo Mein noodles. Garnish with chopped green onions.

This really sounds delicious. In fact, I'll probably make it this week, since it just so happens I have all the ingredients on hand already. Well, close anyway. I don't have any thigh meat, but I do have a dozen legs in the freezers. I'm thinking they would work just as well.

Drum sticks should work just fine Steve. I've made it with whole bone in thighs before. Pork shoulder chunks work well too.
The flavor is really intense and I think you'll like it. Thanks for taking a look.

This was requested at the dinner thread. It can also be done with pork.

2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
1/2 cup low sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup whole garlic cloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. whole peppercorns
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. Sriracha hot sauce
4 cups water
Chopped green onions for garnish

Marinate the chicken in the mixture without the water for at least 30 minutes. Dry off the chicken cubes, reserving the marinade, and fry in a small amount of oil to color.
Add the marinade and water to the chicken and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer uncovered 40-60 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice or cooked Lo Mein noodles. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Thanks for posting this!

That sounds good... here's the recipe my Dad brought
back from there back in the 1950s.. it is one of my favorites!

1 chicken, cut up, skinned
1 head of garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped or sliced.
3/4 cup Soy sauce
3/4 cup White vinegar

Place chicken in a pot just big enough to hold it.
Layer onion and garlic between chicken pieces.
Add soy and vinegar, then enough water to just
cover chicken. (He always added a 1/4 cup more of
each if more than 1 cup of water was needed.)
Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1/2 hour.
Serve over rice.

(This version is much better with bone-in chicken.)

I use these

IMG_1274.JPG

Hmmm...we went to an Asian market and I grabbed some black vinegar...wish I'd seen black soy sauce. Also got several bottles of other things I have no idea what to do with, lol.

This looks wonderful, thank you! I am on a Things I Have Never Cooked kick and this will go on my list.

Thanks BB..
Tonight I wanted to add the amended recipe to the original I posted a couple of years ago. I love how a recipe can evolve and become better with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I'm making Chicken Adobo tonight Filipino Chicken Adobo
but this time I'm adding some coconut milk. I saw Al Roker do it that way on the Today show this morning so I'll give it a try. He also reduced the sauce after the chicken was done, and wilted some fresh spinach in the sauce before pouring it over the rice. Report later tonight.

What's your plan for dinner tonight?

My report is Al Roker knows what he's talking about.

I eliminated the water in the above recipe I've used for years, and added a can of coconut milk along with some lemongrass. I added the fresh baby spinach to the mix just before I served it over Asian noodles(rather than rice) and topped with chopped green onions. Dang....:yum:

Adobo with coconut milk is normal depending upon which region you're in. Google images for Adobong Manok sa Gata recipe. You will see lots of recipes.

As to vinegar if you can find cane vinegar give that a try. I like making adobo with this one. https://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/asian-food/sauces-seasoning/vinegar/datu-puti-cane-vinegar

Thanks for the tips ppo. I've been using rice wine vinegar, can you tell me how the cane vinegar differs?
I don't normally use coconut milk for anything, but on a lark I picked up a can at Trader Joes and was very glad I had it on hand for this.

Back
Top Bottom