"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

General Tso's Chicken recipe?

It's my one true weakness: General Tso's. I eat pretty healthy except for when it comes to these cravings. Anybody have any tried and true recipes for this delicacy? I'd rather make it at home than get take-out...who knows how unhealthy that stuff is..

Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

General Tso's Chicken
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

1 large egg white
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine, or dry sherry
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
Vegetable oil, for frying
12 dry red chile peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup roughly chopped lightly toasted cashews
Green onions, sliced on the bias, garnish
Hot steamed white rice, accompaniment

In a bowl, whisk together the egg white, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of the wine, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
To make the sauce, in another bowl, whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the chicken stock until smooth. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock, 1 tablespoon wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the vinegar, and sugar and whisk to combine. Set aside until ready to finish the dish.
In a large wok or pot, heat enough oil to come 3 inches up the sides to 350 degrees F.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and carefully slide into the hot oil. Fry, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Discard all but about 1 tablespoon of the oil from the wok. (Alternatively, in a clean wok or saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.) Add the chile peppers and stir-fry until nearly black. Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup green onions. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the chicken stock sauce, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Arrange the chicken on a platter and pour the sauce over it. Garnish with the cashews and additional green onions. Serve with hot rice.
4 servings

Episode#: EM1G60

Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Who is this General Tso? I need to get out more.
Reading the recipe Charlie has. I don't see anything that's bad for you. For those on a no sugar/carb diet the cornstarch and sugar might be a problem. I don't think it's an excessive amount to worry about. You can sub the oil for another.

Nice recipe Charlie thanks for posting it.

Munky.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Who is this General Tso? I need to get out more...
You haven't missed anything Chef Munky. General Tso's Chicken is (reportedly) and most likely a New York City invention from the mid-1970s. It doesn't match anything authentic Chinese in style because it's both spicy and very sweet, unlike Hunan or Szechuan which is predominantly one or the other for any particular dish. (Sweet and Sour is an American invention as well!)

It's like so many other psuedo-Chinese dishes... battered and stir fried chicken with a sweet and spicy soy sauce based glaze. Unimaginative and loaded with MSG.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Head Chef

(Sweet and Sour is an American invention as well!)

Not according to The Gourmet Regional Chinese Cookbook, Calvin B.T. Lee & Audrey Evans Lee

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It's like so many other psuedo-Chinese dishes... battered and stir fried chicken with a sweet and spicy soy sauce based glaze. Unimaginative and loaded with MSG.
I agree that Gen Tso's (also goes by numerous other names such as Gen Gaus) is hardly authentic Chinese food, but most of what Americans get when they go out for Chinese is not authentic Chinese food. In my area we have seen a few more authentic places pop up in the past 5 years or so and they have an amazing array of dishes that most Americans have never heard of or would never venture to try (and none of them have Gen Tso's on the menu).

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Americanized Chinese food. Just because it is not authentic Chinese does not mean it can not be delicious. My wife loves Gen Tso's chicken so we often get it as one of the dishes we are ordering whenever we go someplace new for Chinese. We have had some horrendous ones and some amazing ones. The great ones have crispy juicy tender chicken in a slightly sweet sauce with a decent kick and nice citrus undertones. The nasty ones are covered in red gloppy sauce and are sickeningly sweet or overly spicy.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I agree 100% GB!

Wyogal, what we North Americans consider Sweet and Sour is nothing similar to authentic Chinese Sweet and Sour. American style is heavy on the "sweet" (about 50% sweet (from cane sugar) - 50% sour) whereas Chinese is about 30% sweet (from fruit juices) - 70% sour/spicy. The dishes are the same name, but treated very differently.

I enjoy both... but they're not the same.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Head Chef

whatever. just going by the recipes in the book.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I agree that Gen Tso's (also goes by numerous other names such as Gen Gaus) is hardly authentic Chinese food, but most of what Americans get when they go out for Chinese is not authentic Chinese food. In my area we have seen a few more authentic places pop up in the past 5 years or so and they have an amazing array of dishes that most Americans have never heard of or would never venture to try (and none of them have Gen Tso's on the menu).

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Americanized Chinese food. Just because it is not authentic Chinese does not mean it can not be delicious. My wife loves Gen Tso's chicken so we often get it as one of the dishes we are ordering whenever we go someplace new for Chinese. We have had some horrendous ones and some amazing ones. The great ones have crispy juicy tender chicken in a slightly sweet sauce with a decent kick and nice citrus undertones. The nasty ones are covered in red gloppy sauce and are sickeningly sweet or overly spicy.
I have some friends who are a bit stuck up about food. They cannot wrap their head around the concept that just because it isn't "authentic" doesn't mean that it can't be delicious. I have a feeling that they are closet faux ethnic food eaters!

We have some authentic chinese places here, and to be honest, I haven't been brave enough to try some of it.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

all this talk about Chinese food... we went to a buffet for supper!!! Now, I'm stuffed!

Tags
None