German Fair food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aruzinsky said:
My German grandmother used to make this cake that sort of resembled a rectangular pizza with sliced plum wedges for topping. Sometimes peaches or apricots replaced the plums.

Kuchen! I grew up in Germany (Air Force brat), and I had German step-grandparents. My grandmother also made kuchen with plums, but also with apples or gooseberries. They were unbelievably delicious, especially with whipped cream. In those days the cream was heavy and thick and made up into whipped cream that was sold in paper cones from a dispenser -- the kind you see today dispensing milkshakes. It made you moan, it was so good. You didn't actually want to adulterate it with food.

What I remember from the German fairs I attended was bratwurst that they gave you with a broetchen and a dollop of hot mustard. The air was redolent with smoke from the bratwurst grills. I miss broetchen the most, but I'd give a lot to eat German bratwurst again. American bratwurst is unrecognizable to me. Nasty stuff. They also sold what they called Schaschlik. I was too young to know what it was, but it was heavenly. I've tried duplicating it since, with no luck. I suspect it may have been lamb. It was also grilled, chunks of very tender meat on a stick, with a unique flavor. FAB-ulous. I can close my eyes and taste it ...

You might think about elephant ears, too. I believe they are also called palmentiers ... ? Made with thin ropes of puff pastry and lightly glazed. A big deal when I was there.

Good luck! It sounds like a perfectly wonderful idea.

Cats

Don't have a recipe to share, but can't resist because I'm an Air Force Brat who grew up partially in Germany with an 'adopted' Oma and Opa. Small world.

Claire said:
Don't have a recipe to share, but can't resist because I'm an Air Force Brat who grew up partially in Germany with an 'adopted' Oma and Opa. Small world.

Isn't it, though? Claire, did you go to the fairs? Do you remember an item called Schlaschlik, by any chance? I've given up, but for years I tried to duplicate it. What is referred to Shaschlik that I've been able to find here bears no resemblance.

Hi Catseye,

your recipe is actually called Schaschlik (with 'sch').
It's not really german but it's popular in
fast-food places.
I don't have a recipe at hand, all I found on german
cooking-forums was made with so called
schaschlik-sauce you can buy everywhere over here.

The meat on a stick is (called Schaschlik-Spiesse or Grill-Spiesse):
Lean Pork or Lean beef you can also use lamb
Bacon slices
Paprika slices
Onion slices
Just put everything on a stick. Be sure to put bacon next to the
beef so it doesn't get too drie.
Put it in oven about 30min.
Sometimes we marinate(right word?) with some ketchup, garlic,
oil (just like spare-ribs).

There is also another Schaschlik in a pot where the meat
is cooked in Schaschlik-Sauce. It is basically brown gravy with some
ketchup(or tomatos), paprika, pickles and onions added.

If you need any real german recipes let me know...

Greetings from germany(stuttgart)

madb
(please excuse the spelling/language, my english is getting worse everyday).

madb said:
It's not really german but it's popular in
fast-food places. I don't have a recipe at hand, all I found on german
cooking-forums was made with so called
schaschlik-sauce you can buy everywhere over here.

Yeah, if memory serves the Schlaschlik I ate had a sorta Middle Eastern feel to it. But I was 9 years old, what did I know?

Do you know a website that might sell that Schlaschlik sauce? Or can you provide me the German word for it, then I can search it myself.

Thanks so much for your information, madb. And your English was fine. :)

Shashlik is a dish of Moghul or Persian origins. It then filtered to India and Pakistan and throughout Persia and the middle east - as far as Turkey and Greece.

Most of the above countries claim it for themselves - truth is, no-one is sure WHERE it originated 8)

Here's an award-winning chicken shashlik recipe from Bradford, the curry capital of the UK!
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/curry_guide/winner-recipe.html

Ishbel said:
Shashlik is a dish of Moghul or Persian origins. It then filtered to India and Pakistan and throughout Persia and the middle east - as far as Turkey and Greece. Most of the above countries claim it for themselves - truth is, no-one is sure WHERE it originated

If I remember correctly, there were a lot of Turks living in the area, so that would make perfect sense, Ishbel.

Neither your nor Madb's recipe quite fits with what I remember. There was definitely no tomato. I just did a search for "shashlik" in Google, and actually, the following treatment feels the most familiar. (Grilling a must, preferably with a lot of smoke.) The Russian version appears to be the one that uses tomato.

Shashlik

5 tb olive oil
1/2 lemon; juice of
1-2 cloves garlic; crushed
2 lbs boned leg of lamb; cut into large cubes
1 salt and cayenne pepper

Mix the oil, lemon juice and crushed garlic together to make a marinade.
Stir in the meat, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours, turning
it over occasionally.

Thread the meat onto skewers and grill for 8-10 minutes, turning the skewers from time to time to brown the kebabs on all sides.

An extra 5 minutes cooking time may be needed if cooking on charcoal,
depending on the heat of the coals.

Brush the kebabs with the marinade occasionally while cooking.

Thanks, Ishbel!

Season and serve immediately.

Catseye said:
Shashlik

5 tb olive oil
1/2 lemon; juice of
1-2 cloves garlic; crushed
2 lbs boned leg of lamb; cut into large cubes
1 salt and cayenne pepper

That's not referred to as Schaschlik normally.
It's just a "Grillspiess" ("grill - stick").
You can put anything on that stick you want and have
a nice BBQ.
Schaschlik would be:
- meat
- Onion
- paprika
- bacon

The marinade you described is also used very often
for BBQs (on "Grillspiesse" or on spare-ribs). It's
rather mediterranien kitchen, not german.

I like to add some fresh spices to that :
some fresh rosemary and thyme.
Also some fresh ginger cut very small.
You should also never crush garlic, just cut
it into really thin slices.
Don't use too much cayenne, it's going to burn.

Best dip for the above would be a greek Tzatziki.
I think thats common in the US (?).

For the Schaschlik-Sauce:
It's simply spiced ketchup with onions, paprika, pickles and tomato
chunks.
The german name is: "Schaschlik Sauce" (same in english).
There's even one made by Heinz. I don't know whether it's
sold in the US.

Greetings
madB

I have also heard of Monster Ears I think?

We are able to buy in our town in Australia sauerkraut that is imported from Austria I think, it is very nice. It comes in a bag, maybe you can buy Seeberger sauerkraut somewhere?

Hi Kaylinda

well I think every country has it's own way to make apple cake, and for sure there are a lot of ways to make apple cake in Germany. Every region has it's own tradition. But Applecake is one of the Germans favorite cakes.

If you like I can post recipes for apple cake they are handed down from my mom and my grandma and they are definately authentic German recipes :)

Iris

I'm able to buy imported Sauerkraut from Germany at my local Publix Store in Orlando. It's in a glass jar and the brand is Gundelsheimer. It's authentic German Kraut.

Apfelpfannkuchen

These don't necessarily go with beer, but I'll bet they'd be very popular:

Apfelpfannkuchen
Authentic German Apple pancakes

4 servings
40 minutes 20 mins prep

2/3 cup flour, unbleached,unsifted
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs , beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 cups apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Sift together the flour, sugar, and the salt.
2. Beat eggs and milk together.
3. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until smooth.
4. Saute apples in 1/4 c of butter until tender.
5. Mix sugar and the cinnamon together.
6. Toss with apples.
7. Melt 2 T butter in a deep frypan.
8. Pour in the batter to a depth of about 1/4-inch.
9. When set, place 1/4 of the apples on top; cover with more batter.
10. Fry pancake until lightly browned on both sides.
11. Keep warm.
12. Repeat the procedure 3 times, until all batter and apples are used.
13. Serve immediately.

schneller Apelkuchen

(fast Applecake)
I will try to translate................:unsure:

1 3/4 cups cream
200g sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teespoon grated lemon peel

whip until it ist half hard (?)

blend in 5 medium egg

add
400g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

spoon the batter on a deep baking tray and spread
ca 850g- 1000g peeled grated apples on it.

bake at 400°F for 15min at the bottom of the oven.

meanwhile stirr together and cook
100g butter
100g sugar
4 tablespoons milk
add
60g slivered almonds

cool down and disperse on the precooked cake

bake again for 15 min in the middle o the oven

enjoy :)

I think my translation sounds horrible, but I hope, you understand.............

Original:
SCHNELLER APFELKUCHEN

2 Becher Sahne (=400 g) mit 200 g Zucker, 1 P. Vanillezucker und etwas abgerieb. Zitronenschale halb steifschlagen.

5 mittelgroße Eier nach und nach unterrühren.

400 g Mehl und 1 P. Backpulver unterheben.

Gesamten Teig in eine gefettete Saftpfanne (=tiefes eckiges Backblech) geben.

Ca. 850 - 1000 g geschälte und grob geschnipselte Äpfel darauf verteilen.

15 Minuten bei 200 Grad C auf unterster Schiene backen.

Inzwischen 100 g Butter, 100 g Zucker und 4 Essl. Milch aufkochen und 60 g gehobelte Mandeln zufügen und noch kurz mitköcheln..

Masse leicht abkühlen lassen und lose mit Löffel auf dem vorgebackenen Kuchen verteilen.

Nochmals 15 Minuten bei 200 Grad C backen, jetzt auf mittlerer Schiene.

Floridagirl said:
Hi Kaylinda

well I think every country has it's own way to make apple cake, and for sure there are a lot of ways to make apple cake in Germany. Every region has it's own tradition. But Applecake is one of the Germans favorite cakes.

If you like I can post recipes for apple cake they are handed down from my mom and my grandma and they are definately authentic German recipes :)

Iris

Ciao Iris, I have noticed you have excellent knowledge in German Cuisine. One of my favourite German food is "Stollen", wonderfully sinful christmas cake, but I haven't found a valid recipe for it... I know it is a little early for the season but if you have one can you introduce it to us? Mmm, mmm, mmm, I am sure it will make many members here happy!!
Licia:chef:

Hi Licia,

oh yes I do have Stollen recipes :) I'd love to poste them, they are family recipes. Stollen is also one of my favorite christmas cakes.:)
I'll translate and post them on the weekend.

Iris :chef:

DANKE!!

Ja, ja, ja!! I look forward to it!! My mouth is already watering at the thought!! Have a lovely weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom