ISO Mexican and dairy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I was in the store and saw some soft tortilla wraps. I decided to surprise my wife and make something Mexican for her, as she likes it, but since I do not, I usually do not make it very often.
Now I have a problem. What to make? I would really like help with recipe too. It has to be either vegetarian or preferably dairy. No Meat recipes please. She likes re-fried beans or simply beans, Mexican rice, cheder is her choice of cheese, she want eat any other kind, but that is a minor detail. She likes salsa and guacamole. If you can help me with those ingredients it would be awesome. Really appreciate.

Than you in advance.

I was in the store and saw some soft tortilla wraps. I decided to surprise my wife and make something Mexican for her, as she likes it, but since I do not, I usually do not make it very often.
Now I have a problem. What to make? I would really like help with recipe too. It has to be either vegetarian or preferably dairy. No Meat recipes please. She likes re-fried beans or simply beans, Mexican rice, cheder is her choice of cheese, she want eat any other kind, but that is a minor detail. She likes salsa and guacamole. If you can help me with those ingredients it would be awesome. Really appreciate.

Than you in advance.

Hey Charlie, we have a Mexican vegetarian cookbook and we really like the chilaquiles.

Charlie, does your wife eat fish? Fish tacos are awesome.

Any of the things you already mentioned can be rolled up in tortillas. You can eat as is or bake with additional cheese, maybe salsa, then put on some shredded lettuce and sour cream. Pickled onions are a nice addition.

Last edited:
She doesn't eat fish. So I should wrap all the ingredients I mention into the wrap and bake it?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I would put refried beans and cheese in the tortillas, roll them up, put them in a baking dish, then top with salsa and more cheese, then bake. Serve with Mexican rice, salsa and guacamole on the side.

You can mix salsa and lime juice into the beans to give them more flavor.

Last edited:
My entire extended family loves simple home-made burritos using the exact ingredients you named. I just get a can of refried beans (I like Rosarita or Taco Bell brand) add one can of drained pinto beans, chopped onion, a small can of Ortega chilis, fresh cilantro, corn, black olives, and sliced grape tomatoes. For seasoning, a little lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and S/P. Do NOT add liquid or the mixture will become too runny to spoon into the tortilla wraps. I just spoon the mixture in and spread it about, add a liberal amount of sharp cheddar and roll them up. I don't bake them but just put them into the microwave for about 30-45 seconds, bring them out and garnish with avocado, salsa, and a dollup of sour cream or Greek yogurt. I make my own tortillas which the grandkids snatch, roll up and eat plain so I have to guard them! Variations are endless and this is a comfort food favorite in our household. Home-made tortillas are made with 3 parts unbleached flour to 1 part whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt, and water AND a good press. We make so many tortillas we wore out our old press.

Attachments

• tortillas.jpg
    tortillas.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
ISOF Mexican and dairy

She doesn't eat fish. So I should wrap all the ingredients I mention into the wrap and bake it?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Sure! You can eat them without baking too.

I'm liking all the ideas so far!

Tomorrow night I plan to make some fried avocado tacos. They will have a cabbage slaw and salsa. If you play with that idea I am sure you can come up with something she would like.

Than you in advance.

I'm probably too late Charlie, but if you ever want to do this again for your sweetie :) and you are looking for something easy...cheese enchiladas are so easy. Just warm some of those soft flour tortillas until they are pliable enough to roll...stuff with some of that cheddar she loves. Roll them up and put them in a baking dish and pour some bottled enchilada sauce over top....not too much, just enough to moisten. Put extra grated cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Top with some pre-chopped black olives and green onions for garnish....serve with some hot refried beans alongside topped with some extra cheese and you will be a hero. :) Store bought salsa and guacamole can be very good as sides and toppings.

Last edited:
Vegetarian Enchilada pie:

18 soft corn tortillas
1/2 good cheddar cheese, grated
6 oz. canned jalapeno peppers, or 3 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbs. finely minced cilantro
1 pkg. sliced American cheese
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 cup enchilada sauce
12 oz can diced tomato

Spoon enough enchilada sauce into a casserole pan to lightly cover the bottom.
Lay a single layer of tortillas to cover the bottom.Combine the spices, and cilantro. lightly sprinkle onto the tortillas. Put a little of everything else onto the layer, ending in cheese. Spoon enchilada sauce on top. Put another layer of tortillas on top and repeat. Build like you would lasagna. Complete with a last layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.

Bake in 350'F. oven for 30 minutes. Serve with tossed salad, Fresh-sliced Haas avocado slices, then a nice flan for desert. Horchatta makes a good beverage with this meal. Lola's Horchata Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Ok CharlieD, save this for the next time you want to treat her to something southwestern. Or just enjoy because it tastes so darn good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Charlie, read the labels on the refried beans. Many brands include lard in the product. But there are brands without any added fat.

Seeeeeya;p Chief Longwind of the North

Tell me about. There are no kosher brands of re-fried beans in the store. I went to Restaurant Depot (btw if anybody has one in your city and you can get there, it is members only, wow, what a place to shop) they had one brand that was kosher.

After reading all the suggestions, and plus some Internet info. I realized that, even though there is the set way of doing things, in the it is pretty much what you like to eat. I do not know what to call what I made but this is what I did. I fried some onion and mix it with re-fried beans. Warmed up the tortilla shell a little bit, just to make it easier to roll. Put the beans, salsa and some cheese inside and rolled. In the pan I put some enchilada sauce over the "burritos" (whatever the name would be) I spread some mild enchilada sauce on, which I really liked, and some cheese. Into oven it went till cheese melted. Served with some more rice, some tomatoes, onions, bunch of store bought sauces. Honestly, I was surprised I liked it, but even more honestly the tomatoes and sour cream were the best part, that's the russian in me.
Here is the picture.

Attachments

• DSC00236.jpg
    DSC00236.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom