Jamaican Beef Patty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Annatto is unknown in England? Really? Doesn't London have a Cuban population? Although I associate annatto with Mexican/Central American cuisine, I'm pretty sure Cubans use it occasionally as well.

Curry powder is very Jamaican, so I wouldn't be surprised if beef patties contained it. But I think the predominant spice is all-spice, which, from what I understand, is the predominant note in jerk sauce.

cliveb said:
Found it! Found it! :chef: :chef:

It was in the wrong file, of course...

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup ice-cold water

2 tbsps oil
1 lb minced beef
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp each curry powder, salt, chili powder ( cayenne pepper) pepper and dried thyme
1/2 cup beef broth ( stock cubes will do!)
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten.

combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix together until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water slowly and mix together quickly with your fingertips until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Shape the dough into a long sausage shape, cut into 10 pieces, roll each piece into a circle ( about 6 inches) and set aside.

Heat the oven to 425 º. Melt the butter in a frying pan , then fry the onion. When translucent, add the minced beef and cook until it browns. Add the spices, and stir once or twice, then add the stock and the breadcrumbs. cook until the liquid is absorbed.

Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into the middle of each pastry circle, fold in half, seal with a fork dampened with water, then brush all the patties with beaten egg. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden.

Thank you!!!!!!:chef:

East 23rd street in NYC used to be 'Little Jamaica' before gentrification of the area 7-8 years ago. There used to be a place called the Jamaican Patty King. I've never in my life eaten anything so addictive! The Tower Isle brand and anything I've had from a pizza place in NY seriously pales next to those. Like comparing wonderbread to Balthazar's artisanal breads. I'm trying to find out what their secret ingredient was.

Does anyone know the difference between regular curry and jamaican curry blends?

I'll try your recipe soon. Thanks.

sojay said:
Does anyone know the difference between regular curry and jamaican curry blends?

There are so many ingredients in "curry powder" it's a little difficult to separate one from another. However, I'll have a shot at it and say that Jamaican curry powder has:
- more turmeric
- more anise seed
- more hot (cayenne) pepper
- allspice

It's possible it could also have dried herbs in the mixture, like thyme, for example.

they usually use curry and allspice and chopped scotch bonnet peppers the most. you can get the same taste from the pepper sauce in caribbean online shops. they use browning sauce a lot too.

jamaican people usually use asian curry blends. they acquired the taste when the british empire gave free passage to people from other colonies in exchange for indentured service. a lot of people from asian countries came over and their cultures mixed. there are a lot of people whose ancestors were from india and other asian countries all over the islands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom