Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,
Would enjoy hearing about how all of you Kebab & Dip your Kebabs ?
In the Mediterranean, there are numerous countries steeped profoundly in ancient history, possessing holy shrines, archaeological finds and gastronomic cultures of antiquity.
The spectacular harbor city of Herod the Great, who dedicated it to Augustus Caesar, Port of Call Caesarea, Israel is enchanting with its sand dunes, banana plantations, and restored ruins of a Roman Theatre.
Here is the most common way of preparing meat in Caesarea. Kebabs of spicy lamb ( beef can be substituted for availability issues ) are served with Shatta, a spicy Yeminite Jewish specialty used for dipping.
(1 ) GRILLED LAMB KEBABS (
Beef can be substituted due to lack of availability ) ...
1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
3/4 cup finely minced onion ( spring onion, leek or scallion )
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
4 minced garlic cloves
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked cayenne ( I use La Vera Pimentón ) or Paprika Dulce sweet
1/2 tsp. smoked cayenne " piquant " ( La Vera Pimentón Picante )
Evoo Olive Oil
Shatta ( recipe below kebab recipe )
1. combine the lamb, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, salt and black pepper, paprika sweet and paprika piquant in a large bowl and combine very thoroughly.
2. Prepare Barbecue: Medium high heat and form generous 1/4 cup lamb mixture into 3 inch cigar form around the centre of a skewer.
3. Repeat this process with remaining lamb and brush all the cigar shaped kebabs with EVOO olive oil.
4. grill kebabs, until brown and cooked through, 10 minutes each, turning frequently.
*** Serve with warm pita and a good Red wine.
(2) SHATTA FRESH PEPPER PASTE ...
Makes about 1 Cup ...
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped red serrano pepper or jalapeño
*** can substitute Mediterranean red dried chili peppers as I do.
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Evoo
1 1/2 tbslps. minced garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
*** Adjust spices to your own palate and taste
Combine all ingredients in a Food Processor and blend until it forms a relish type coarse paste.
SERVE with Assorted Olives and Pita for dipping.
Due to Metropolitan Urban living, I make this when we go over to Puglia, on our Terrace, on a Hibachi ... This is scrumptuous.