Lugaru, can you help with pork enchiladas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I made a bunch of smoked pork butt today. I'm thinking about prepping up a batch of pork enchiladas during the morning, before I go to work, and having my other half, PeppA, cook them for dinner.

I was thinking a basic red enchilada sauce, like I would use for beef.

Are there any ideas you have that can help me create a memorable dinner? I'm thinking about adding a little pureed chipotle in adobo, but I have to be careful, as the pork itself already has a smokey taste, and my family can't really handle spicy foods.

Im only on for one night... long story but let's say Im pretending to move out and cut off my internet to get two delinquents to move out of my apartment. Any way's on to the enchiladas...

If your looking for something not too spicy and that of course goes great with your choice of meat there's a weird synergy between tomatillo sauce (green enchiladas) and pork. Also a proper tomatillo sauce wont be too spicy for your family at all, usually more tart than hot (american style instead has more green chillis and is hotter and sweeter). I'll get you a recipe as soon as possible but Im at a freinds house and have to write a bunch of relatives... but in the meantime I suggest you hunt down "del monte" tomatillo sauce at a local shop.

You can use a green enchilada sauce too. I only use either the Hatch or the Las Palmas brands. Neither one is spicy and they both have a great flavor.

Thanks! I just looked in my files, and I have a "dressing" that might work. Don't know why it's called a dressing, though, as it looks more like a sauce.

Tomatillo Dressing

5 medium tomatillos, husked and washed (you can substitute a 13 oz can, drained)
2 hot green chilies (like a jalapeno), stemmed and seeded
2 T fresh lime juice
½ small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cilantro sprigs
¼ t cumin
1 T olive oil
Salt to taste

If you have fresh tomatillos, place them in a medium pot, just cover with water, and simmer with the chili peppers for about 15 minutes. Drain the tomatillos and peppers, and place them in a blender (if using canned tomatillos, start here), along with the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Allen,

If your family doesn't like HOT, here is the recipe I use for my green sauce...We use this with pork or chicken enchilladas
heat 1/3c. veggie oil in your pan about a 3-4 qt. pan Add 2 med. onions diced
cook onions til soft but not brown. Add 1 7oz. can mild green chiles, 2 cans 13oz.size tomatillos, drained 1-c. chix stock or broth, 3.Tab fresh lime juice 2-tea. dry oregano and 1 tea. ground cumin..Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stir now and then, for 25 min. Whirl in blender til smooth f/p can be used. season with salt..
I had always bought fresh tomatillos to make this, and was surprised to see you could get then canned,,So I use the canned now and the flavor is the same.
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom