"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Paella recipes anyone?

I got a Paella pan as a gift and would like to know if anyone might have the best Paella recipe ever. Or maybe I could try a few and decide for myself.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
PaellaPans.com - Recipes

Welcome to DC

AC

Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Here are two from Tyler Florence with top ratings and reviews:

Paella with Seafood, Chicken, and Chorizo Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Cuban-style Paella: Paella Cubana Recipe : : Food Network
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

I consider Paella a "wing it" dish, as in "no recipe required". Nothing could be easier.

Just use a basic Saffron rice recipe - or cheat & use commercial saffron or "yellow" rice. Cook rice & gently fold in cooked green peas (fresh or frozen), quartered artichoke hearts, sliced roasted red peppers. Top with cooked pieces of chicken (small drumsticks or bone-in thighs work well); cooked sliced chorizo (or Italian) sausages; olive-oil sauteed squid rings, shrimp, crab, lobster, whatever; & live clams &/or mussels. Place in oven until shellfish open. Serve. In my case, with an assortment of hot sauces, a large green salad, & crusty garlic bread on the side.

Oh, & you don't need an official "paella pan" to present a nice paella. Before I bought my lovely Spanish terracotta Cazuela dish, I baked my paellas in a large wok - lol!!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

you make it sound so easy. I think just planning what will go in and then shopping will take longer than making it. I had a Paella that never went into the oven but most of the recipes I've seen have it going into one. your thoughts?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

Mine goes into the oven for about 1/2 an hour at 350/400 degrees to cook/open the clams &/or mussels, heat everything through, & meld the flavors.

I imagine if you weren't using live clams/mussels you could get away with not baking it at all, but I still think it's nicer baked for that 30 minutes, even if everything is essentially precooked.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
All done on the stovetop here.

AC
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Paella Salad

Here's a recipe that I developed a while back. This isn't a traditional paella - it's a delicious salad - served chilled - that makes a complete summertime meal (or any time of year for that matter). It uses Orzo pasta instead of rice and has all of the good things found in many paella recipes. More saffron can be added depending on personal tastes.

Paella Salad

Salad:
1 pound orzo pasta, cooked and drained
1 /2 pound shrimp, cooked and diced
1 boneless chicken breasts grilled and diced
1 /2 cup red onions diced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 /2 red bell pepper, diced
1 /2 green pepper, diced
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1/ 2 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoons parsley, minced

Cook pasta, drain and return pasta to the pot it was cooked in. Add remaining ingredients. Toss with dressing, transfer to a serving bowl and chill before serving.

Dressing:
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon saffron
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and serve over paella salad.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I dont mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but having received a Paella pan as a gift should be inspiration to learn how to make a Paella the right way. By that, I mean doing it the way it was meant to be used. Everything cooks in the same pan, be it at separate intervals. Using the right grain of rice (no Uncle Bens parboiled, Basmati or long-grain) and real saffron, etc are fundamentals. Cooking the chicken separately, and the rice separately and then assembling the dish in the Paella vessel just for presentation purposes to me is a waste. But that is just my opinion. I think it is a great opportunity to learn about a great culture, cuisine and classic dish.

NOTE: the links Adillo303 gave are a great start
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Master Chef

No worries - you're not raining on my parade - lol!!

I've cooked authentic/traditional paella a couple of times using my large carbon-steel wok (since I don't have a paella pan & didn't yet have my large pottery Cazuela dish) - making the saffron rice, cooking everything together, yadayadayada. It came out fine, but also took the better part of a day to put together.

These days, unless it's a special occasion, I simply don't have the time for all that when we're in a "paella" mood &/or all the ingredients happen to be on sale at the same time. "Cheating" the way I do allows us to have a very enjoyable meal, & if it offends anyone's sensibilities, instead of "Paella", just call my version "Spanish Poultry, Seafood, & Vegetables Over Yellow Rice". It'll still taste terrific to me!

Tags
None