Spanakopita question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gossie said:
Back to freezing. :) Can I make the mixture up to the point where I'm going to put it on the pie dough or phyllo, and freeze it at that point??? I'm thinking ahead to picnic time this summer. :) We have a reunion coming up, and spanokopita would be a great thing to take. :)
Hey Gossie --

Of course you can, and it makes sense that you'd want to in a situation like you describe above. However, as I'm sure you know, the end result won't be quite as nice as if you'd made it all fresh and baked it immediately. That doesn't mean, however, that it won't be delicious!

As other posters have already said, you can freeze the entire spankopita as well, a key point being having the filling quite dry, however. Bake before freezing? Bake after freezing? Can't really advise you which would be better and I'd think you'd want to experiment a bit.

I would say that heating spankopita up (I'm really talking about only a piece or two here, mind you) is best in a dry frying pan rather than in the microwave, only because this helps to re-crisp the crust a bit which is, IMHO, quite desirable!

When I make Spanakopita (with phyllo sheets in a long strudel-style), I always make & bake two, freezing one of them.

I just allow it to cool completely, then wrap thoroughly in several layers of cling wrap. When I'm ready to enjoy it again, I allow it to thaw, then reheat it in a regular oven until the interior is warmed through & the phyllo has recrisped up. It comes out great.

I don't know how long, ultimately, it would keep in the freezer, as I've only been able to resist enjoying it again after a couple of months - lol!

Back
Top Bottom