"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Head Chef

Sushi Roll Maker?

Has anyone ever used a sushi roll maker? i want to make very basic rolls only...with sushi rice, king crab meat, yellowtail, spicy tuna, cream cheese, jalapeno
(not all in the same roll of course
do i need a good rice maker to make awesome japanese sticky rice? is that the rice they use in rolls?

I know i can use google but i want opinions from my mates on here.

Pics and detailed critiques and comments would be awesome!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You need a saucepan to make the rice. Then you add vinegar and sugar to it.

You need a bamboo mat to make the rolls.

Total equipment investment, less than $20.

Fresh sushi, priceless.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Everymom

Mylegsbig, you can just use plain old rice, add some vinegar and sugar to it and you will have acceptable sushi rice.

Bamboo mats are called sudare if I am not mistaken and are cheap and are very very helpful. Trying to roll that danged nori without one is virtually impossible.

And I want to ask...why not all in the same roll? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Head Chef

short grain rice right? i take it you all will give me step by step instructions when i get it? where can i get the best nori?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Yep short grain rice. I find nori at my local upscale supermarket, but if you have access to an Asian market then that would be your best bet.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've heard the blacker the nori, the better.

Also, when you make sushi rice, mix the sugar and vinegar with some salt. Makes all the difference.

MLB, after you place the nori on the rolling mat, place your row of rice 1/4 inch away from the nori edge. Add your ingredients while respecting this 1/4 inch clearance. This way, when you roll on the first turn, the clearance will help seal the fillings while you tighten that first turn on itself.

In some restaurants, I see their rolling mats are lined with cling wrap. I think this is a great idea to prevent rice sticking to the mat.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I always use japanese rice, it usually says 'sushi' rice right on the bag. You do not need a rice maker. When you take the rice out of the pot, put it into a bowl and start paddling rice vinegar into it until it's cool enough to handle.

All you need (and some don't even really need it, depends on dexterity and experience) is a bamboo mat, made specifically for sushi rolling. Place the nori on the mat (I also put a piece of plastic wrap down), the the rice, which you press on, filling in all the gaps, then your fillings, about an inch from the edge closest to you. Then, begin rolling, tightly. Use the plastic wrap to secure it and chill for a while. Chilling makes it just a bit easire to slice.

I was at a food show recently. One of the vendors had nori in a rainbow of colours and flavours. You really couldn't even call it nori because it wasn't seaweed...but made of rice, actually. Paper thin sheets of flavoured rice. The presentation possible is amazing.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
just a quick question if nobody minds, this nori I have the sheets are quite thick like multi-layers of thin, and it`s also Very dry.
do you need to soak this before using it?
at the moment all I do with mine is cut it up into thin strips with scisors and add it to the appropriate soups.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Everymom

No you don't need to soak it. Yes it should be very dry. It will roll well if you use the sudare mat and it will absorb just enough moisture from the rice to become pliable. Also as Vera has mentioned you should chill a bit to make slicing easier.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Master Chef

I use Cal-Rose rice. It is what just about everyone ate in Hawaii when I lived there. My nori came out a little tough, so I went to the only local sushi bar and watched, and they toast it for a little bit in a little toaster oven. We did it with neighbors, and each of us had our bamboo mats and plastic wrap, and as they day wore on, we got better at getting the rolls tight enough. Hint: If you don't live where you can get really good fresh fish, and your friends are likely to say, "RAW FISH, GROSS", sushi doesn't mean raw fish. Make a lot of california rolls, cucumber rolls, shrimp rolls, etc. Get people used to the idea. The sushi party was a huge success. Maybe it was all the saki and plum wine ...

Tags
None