"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #51
Master Chef

When I lived in Hawaii, I had a kaffir lime tree in a pot. Oh, how I miss that flavor. In Florida I grew lemon grass in a corner of the yard. That one was funny. We'd gone to a Thai restaurant in Orlando, and I looked down at the stuff growing by the sidewalk, and saw ... lemongrass. We were leaving, and I just was going to grab one or two stalks to start a plant at home. I got caught, but do what I always do when I'm caught out in a transgression --- apologise and explain. The owner's wife was thrilled that I even knew what I was doing, and gave me a good size cutting, and I had a ton of lemongrass for the rest of the 6 years we lived there. I'd like to try growing both (lemongrass and Kaffir) in pots, and someone gave me a source a few months back, but I can't find where I saved it (the story of my life). I use lemon balm or verbena (the latter is better, but haven't found a plant lately) in the summers, but lime skin in the winter, to give the zip of lemongrass/kaffir lime. Not the same, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #52
Master Chef

Claire,

Just buy a stalk of fresh lemongrass from the supermarket/asian market, stick it in water and let it sprout. then plant it.

I have a planter on the deck that is wildly overflowing with lemongrass as I kept splitting them and re-planting.

SHOUT OUT to Jkath and JPMCgrew for helping me with this project earlier this spring! Propagating Lemongrass

I can buy fresh kaffir lime leaves at my asian market, so haven't thought about the tree, but here's some info: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...kaffir+lime%22
Have been making tons of green curry dishes, such as this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._21150,00.html

Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #53
Cook

Smile Indian Curries/Thai Curries

There is a great Thai restaurant in Knightbridge just across and down from Harrod's called Thasi Orchid (I think). Anyway they do fix real Thai food!!! I also love Indian having been to both India and Thailand over 30 times each, but Thsai cuisine has a freshness.

Indian curries are far more complex and each dish has a different mixture of spices/masalas which make the curry, whereas Thasi curries are divided into much more basic like green, red, yellow, choo chee, jungle curry, sour yellow, mussaman and panang in the south, and so on. The ingredients for the curry paste do not vary much from dish to dish.

I love all curries! Well Japanese curry is sort of boring, but even curries of Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and China all can be quite tasty, not to mention curries of the Caribbean. Guess I should just say I love spices!

Mary-Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I'm with CharlieD!

In the UK, 'curry' usually means Indian subcontinental food (most of our 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani). Thai has become popular over perhaps the past 10 years or so - but I prefer 'Indian' curries!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #54
Cook

Kaffir Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
When I lived in Hawaii, I had a kaffir lime tree in a pot. Oh, how I miss that flavor. In Florida I grew lemon grass in a corner of the yard. That one was funny. We'd gone to a Thai restaurant in Orlando, and I looked down at the stuff growing by the sidewalk, and saw ... lemongrass. We were leaving, and I just was going to grab one or two stalks to start a plant at home. I got caught, but do what I always do when I'm caught out in a transgression --- apologise and explain. The owner's wife was thrilled that I even knew what I was doing, and gave me a good size cutting, and I had a ton of lemongrass for the rest of the 6 years we lived there. I'd like to try growing both (lemongrass and Kaffir) in pots, and someone gave me a source a few months back, but I can't find where I saved it (the story of my life). I use lemon balm or verbena (the latter is better, but haven't found a plant lately) in the summers, but lime skin in the winter, to give the zip of lemongrass/kaffir lime. Not the same, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Four Wind Growers will ship them to you.

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

Maybe Bhatia in NJ has them, not sure as they carry mainly Indian things like Curry Leaf/Murrieya Koenigii.

Lemongrass, just buy a few stalks at an Asian Market, root them in a glass of water and pot up in a large diameter pot.

You can grow the lemongrassoutside in your area, but bring in a potted clump to over winter. Harvest and fresh your lemon grass for all winter use.

The Kaffir Lime/Magroot will need to be brought in if the temps are below about 40 deg F. Four Winds grafts onto frost hardy stock. We get temps that hit 32 deg F a few times a winter and they are quite hardy to that, but where you are you will need to bring them in to a bright window area. Don't let them dry out due to winter indoor heating systems.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #55
Executive Chef

For me I think curry paste and rice. I just started eating Thai and I am kicking my self in butt for waiting so long.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:23 AM   #56
Assistant Cook

Say Thai food, I think of spciy, sour, fresh, sugar, fish sauce and chilis, lemongrass, coconut milk, spicy salads, galangal and tom yum paste.

Tags
None