What do you think of this sushi kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I am still trying to get dh to get me basic equipment to make this. We don't have all the japanese stuff here, like the nori, but, I might be able to find it somewhere. But, I can still make the ones with cucumber and salmon and stuff. Also, does anyone know of a good sushi cookbook? Not elaborate {Sp} stuff, just basic like california rolls, phili rolls, stuff like that, no real raw fish other than salmon or roe:sick:

DUH, I didn't put kit on here LOL
Here is Walmart's.

Last edited:
YUM YUM YUM! I have looked for a few good books, but haven't found one I totally want to invest in. Found some real beautiful sushi "art" though- very cool! I found a LOT of recipes on the net. We don't use raw fish either, being landlocked. We use lots of different veggies and cooked seafoods. I found nori in a specialty kitchen shop. I have to visit ours often cause I find myself just grabbing a sheet of nori and eating it! I haven't had any problems making the rolls without a bamboo mat, unless you want to make the "inside out" rolls. I will try to find a few of the websites I hunted down one day.

Last edited:
Did you forget to put the picture on here for the sushi kit your talking about?

Ahh, now I see your kit. Looks pretty good. I tried making the california rolls, and they came out good except they were a bit messy since I didnt have the bamboo matt.

Last edited:
aCTUALLY IT LOOKS GOOD FOR THE PRICE. nOW, BEEING THAT IT IS wALLMART, i'D BE CONSERN ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE RICE COOKER, THE REST OF THE STUFF IS JUST FINE. i MAY JUST HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT FOR MY SELF, i'VE BEEN WANTING TO GET A SMALL RICE COOKER, THIS MAY JUST WORK.

You don't need a rice cooker to make sushi rice.

You can buy the equipment you really need for sushi, not counting the rice cooker, for about $10.00.

Start with the rolling mat, rice paddle and some chopsticks. Then buy the rice, nori and the other ingredients and give sushi making a try. If you find you enjoy making it, you can invest in the dishes and even a rice cooker.

Last winter a neighbor had a sushi party, and it was a real hit. Because we live in the midwest, we didn't use raw fish. We used salmon, crab and shrimp. Both our neighbor and we had the bamboo matts and nori is readily available in our town. We made up batches of CalRose rice (close enough) according to instructions. It was a lot of fun. We were all amazed at how many people enjoyed it. We made other Japanese dishes for the timid, and I have to say my bottle of sake and one of plum wine were a huge hit. I guess what I'm saying is don't get too tied up in being "authentic" ... just have fun with it!!!

Back
Top Bottom