"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Jewish food is food that Jews the world over eat. Israeli food is different. I was in Israel a few months ago and as a Jew I can say that "Jewish" food and "Israeli" food are not necessarily one in the same. For instance, I did not see most of the above mentioned foods while I was there. I saw things like falafel and shwarma which would not be considered Jewish, but would be considered stereotypical Israeli food.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I agree, this does however come down to ones definition of Jewish food. I think most of the western world has the steriotypic view of Jews as white europeans. Nothing could be further from the truth. I therefore put into question why do we take Jewish food as being that of European influence.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

There are basically two types of Jews. You have the Ashkenazi who make up the majority of the Jews in the US and surrounding areas. These are Jews of Eastern European decent. Then you have Sephardic Jews who are of Spanish or Portuguese decent. There are other types as well, but the majority of Jews are made up of these two groups. Both the Ashkenazi and Shephardic Jews have foods that are staples to them that are not bound by geographic location. The Ashkenazi, no matter where they are located, will have things like Matzo Ball Soup and Kinishes, and most of the other things that are mentioned above.

As you noted thecurrypot, there certainly are other foods that would be considered Jewish foods. The reason the people here are only mentioning those of the European influence is that they are familiar with the Ashkenazi ways and not the Sephardic. If you go to Spain and ask the same question you will get a completely different set of foods.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
looking at mostly the ashkinazi/europian style. Don't get me wrong i love Sphardi/Israeli/Middle Eastern food (I wspent 2 years in Israel studying and eating plus visited my grandparents there ever other summer as a kid) but I don't think that is what the office is expecting.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
Sous Chef

well danpeikes, what DO you think the office is expecting?.....not being snarky, just curious as to what you would bring....
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
ella most likely traditional european style kosher food. I might go with like a kugel or some knishes. Possibly stuffed cabbage.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
Head Chef

bagels and lox...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Wyogal.....ROFL......there has to be some cream cheese and thinly sliced purple onion with that!!!!....LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Wyogal.....ROFL......there has to be some cream cheese and thinly sliced purple onion with that!!!!....LOL
I am a weird Jew Ella. I can't stand cream cheese so I often have bagles with lox and nothing else Although if it is lox spread and it is well mixed then I will eat that.

However the way I would really like it is with whitefish salad, belly lox (the salty kind), Jarlsberg cheese, and then topped with some veggies like lettuce, tomato, red onion, etc.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Sous Chef

have to introduce you to eldest grandson.....he hates cream cheese too!!!

Tags
None