"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Mish, you can't find it in SoCal at all? Ralph's should have it, or even a Safeway.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
look in the specialty sections, I found mine in the Asian section..I had first looked with the bread crumb things no luck, so I just went row by row and finally found it.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef
This is from the article-
The secret to panko is in the way it is produced. Breadcrumbs are usually made from baking bread and grinding it in to a powdery finish. Panko, on the other hand, is the result of electrostatically drying the bread through the use of electrical currents rather than conventional heat. The drying process is quick, after which the bread is grated and dried a second time. As the Japanese crumb - which comes in different grades - is more fragile, greater care must be taken in production.

Mish! I like this Ian's Italian panko. I like that the spices are already added because I always under season. Here's a list of retailers http://iansnaturalfoods.com/ourretailers.html In my grocery store, they have Ian's by the shake n bake/breadcrumb section and regular unflavored panko in the Asian isle.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mish
Thanks amber. Surprised... it's such a commonly used ingredient, I would think the market would carry it. May have to make a trip over there, & stock up. Thank you
I know what you mean, its just bread in large chunks without anything added, but I dont think my grocery carries it either. I just happened to notice it at the GNC store.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by ironchef
Mish, you can't find it in SoCal at all? Ralph's should have it, or even a Safeway.
Thanks, IC. My favorite Ralph's is huge. Maybe I missed it. If not, you just reminded me, Gelson's might carry it.

Kads, good idea. Will have to leave myself a trail of breadcrumbs to find it in the right aisle next time

Cora, great info! Thank you!!!

Amber, if all else fails, I'll come home with vitamins. Need some of those as well.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Master Chef
I buy panko at my Asian grocers. Rather than size of crumb, I find it to have a different texture. I use ... are you ready for this? ... instant mashed potato flakes (not 'buds') as a substitute when I can't get to my Asian grocer in Dubuque. The texture is similar.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Look in the phone book for specialty grocery stores that deal in just orential food.

I went to one to pick up some panko bread crumbs.
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #18
Master Chef
Around here some supermarkets carry it in their Asian food section.

It is also ready available online from many Asian food purveyors. Just do a websearch on Panko & you'll come across more than enough sources. It keeps very well in an airtight container, so you might want to go that route & buy enough to last you for awhile instead of trying to make do concocting substitutes.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #19
Master Chef
i found plastic bulk containers of it for like 57 cents by our fresh seafood at a couple different locations! then they had boxes of it in thier ethnic foods aisles for WAY more for way less panko.
i toss mine in my freezer.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote