"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I'll have no choice about doing it in batches as it happens Addie, since I only have a mini blender!
If you have a food processor, small or large, you could use that. I am fortunate in that I have both.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you have a food processor, small or large, you could use that. I am fortunate in that I have both.

Nope, no food processor either - I am very deprived!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Nope, no food processor either - I am very deprived!
Oh dear. My heart goes out to you. Over the years, if it plugged in, I just had to have it. Now that I live alone, I don't use most of the equipment I have. I have given a lot of it to my oldest son. He cooks for himself and loves it. Along with all the toys I have given him. Right now he has his eye on my mixer and food saver. Unfortunately, I still use them both. But I am thinking of giving him my mandolin. I never use it any more. Too much bother to drag out. I can do it faster with a knife. He can also have my deep fryer. I have two frying pans that don't get used very much. And the deep fryer, never.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh dear. My heart goes out to you. Over the years, if it plugged in, I just had to have it. Now that I live alone, I don't use most of the equipment I have. I have given a lot of it to my oldest son. He cooks for himself and loves it. Along with all the toys I have given him. Right now he has his eye on my mixer and food saver. Unfortunately, I still use them both. But I am thinking of giving him my mandolin. I never use it any more. Too much bother to drag out. I can do it faster with a knife. He can also have my deep fryer. I have two frying pans that don't get used very much. And the deep fryer, never.

I have a mandolin which I use every so often. It's quite useful if you need really thin slices (but that is not all that often really). I have no deep fat fryer (and wouldn't use it much if I did). I have about 10 frying pans though!

I have a pressure cooker which I have only used about 3 times since I got it as a present last Christmas, but I plan to use it more, along with my slow cooker. I must say, I do rather like kitchen gadgets!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #45
Head Chef

By the way, and just to get back on track for the thread - I have noticed people using the term "raw" chickpeas. Can I assume that this is the same as "dried"? (Which is what I have).
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #46
Head Chef

Tomorrow I will be making the beetroot-coloured, pickled turnips.

Obviously that will need at least 2 weeks to "mature" before I can have my final try at falafel. So cunningly, I have planned a meal for tomorrow that also involves root vegetables - Roast chicken legs with roasted beetroot, carrot and potato, served with a very interesting looking poppy seed sauce.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #47
Head Chef

Well, I made a jar of pickled turnips as planned. It certainly looks pretty! Let's hope it tastes nice in a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnip Pickle.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	18550  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Master Chef

Wow, 10 frying pans, even I have less. What kind of pans do you have? As far as kitchen toys, I love them and sugest to everybody to have as many as possible.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #49
Head Chef

What can I say? Some gals collect shoes, I apparently collect frying pans! All sorts, shallow, deep, non-stick, not non-stick, omelette, griddle - you can never have enough frying pans!

One of my favourite "toys" is one of the simplest though - a potato ricer. It makes marvellous fluffy mashed potato with none of that annoying mashing required!

What's yours CharlieD?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #50
Master Chef

Hard to say, I have two food processors, I have a stand up mixer, I have semi Comercial meat grinder, I have 9 frying pans and a whole bunch of pots. I have a deep fryer that I've stop using because I bought a pot with a basket insert for deep frying. I have 2 juicers I have 20 or 25 knives. Now multiply some of that stuff by 2 or 3 because I keep kosher I have separate stUff for dairy and meat sides of the kitchen plus I have a separate Passover kitchen, don't ask. I've spend thousands on my kitchen toys. I guess if I had to choose I'd say that I love my stand up kitchen aid mixer the most.

Tags
None