"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

22 lbs of shredded cheddar

I went camping this past weekend and came home with 22 lbs of shredded cheddar (loooong story). Can I freeze this?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Master Chef

yes! package it up and freeze. Cheddar is not very forgiving when frozen in chunk form but shredded it works fairly well. I have done it with shredded before and it thawed out nice. Freezing makes cheddar crumbly but if it's shredded that doesn't matter and is less than when freezing a block.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I went camping this past weekend and came home with 22 lbs of shredded cheddar (loooong story). Can I freeze this?
Wow, best I've ever done camping is coming home with a few Morels or a bucket of blackberries, how do you come home with 22 lbs of cheese?

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Master Chef

22 pounds? I need to hear this story. Yes, freeze. It will lose some in texture (in other words, you might not want to do a cream/cheese sauce with it) but will probably be fine in nachos, layered salads and dips, topping casseroles, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Go ahead and freeze it, Janet. When all 5 of our children were at home, we regularly bought shredded cheeses in 10-pound or greater quantities and froze it. If you have a FoodSaver, all the better for packaging the cheese.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Everymom

Story please!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Story please!
OK... This last weekend my band played at a festival a couple of hours from home. Since it was in a beautiful area we decided to spend a few days camping there with our families and friends and it turned into a 24 family, 4 day outdoor cooking spree. We planned meals in advance with everyone pitching in and helping.

One night we had pit smoked salmon and artichokes, another we had a bring your own meat (BYOM) bbq and on the last night we had a chili night.

People signed up to bring condiments for the BBQ, chili and next mornings breakfast of cooked to order eggs, tortillas, cinnimon rolls and ham (2 people per meal). All six people brought shredded cheese and all of them bought 5 lb bags. One person brought 2 bags for a grand total of 13 bags. 7 x 5 = 35 lbs of cheese. We used less than 2 bags and a third bag was lost to a family of raccons who actually dragged away the entire bag while we watched, laughing so hard no one could intervene.

When it came time to pack up at the end of the weekend, there were left overs. The person in charge of this process divided the meat and chili amongst the interested parties and then decided that since I was a vegetarian the cheese should go to me. When I was packing my car I found a cooler next to the back door with a note, full of cheese. Really, really full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troutlake 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	7201  
Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Head Chef

Oh my goodness! Sounds like you had a good time, and obviously a nice group of compatible people. Although Mexico has a wealth of wonderful cheeses, we can seldom find cheddar cheese. I get it at Costo occasionally, and I usually buy two 2-kilo bags of shredded cheese. It freezes beautifully, and I use it for cheese sauces all the time with no problems.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Hope about a gigantic mac and cheese!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Have you been dumpster diving behind the Kraft cheese factory again???

Tags
None