Brie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the best hors' douevres I've ever had was brie en croute. It was served with smoked salmon on very thinly sliced toasted baguettes and slices of apple.

PASTA WITH BRIE

4 servings

8oz Brie (with or without the coating)

1/4cup Olive oil

1can (15oz) Cube tomatoes (strain)

2tsp Garlic

1Tbs Parsley

4 Fresh Basil leaves

3tbs Pine nuts (roasted lightly in the oven)

Salt & Pepper

Farfale (bow shape pasta) for 4

In a pan heat up the oil and add the tomatoes.

Add the garlic, parsley, and pine nuts.

Add Basil leaves,salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

Boil the pasta.

Stir in the Brie and mix well for 2 more minutes.

Put over the pasta and eat immediately.

^ That sounds pretty **** good. The Italians will get angry with how you mixed the sauce and pasta ;)

If you're going to go with red meat, I'd stick with the lamb. I think the buffalo might be a bit to beefy for the flavor but the lamb might be a good combo. I would add some strips of roasted red pepper and roasted garlic as well, either roasted with it or just sauted and served with it.
We love it just on toast with the red pepper and garlic combo as a side to a good salad.
As I think, if you could get a buffalo steak, pan sear it, slice it really thin and serve it on toast with the red pepper and garlic (both still roasted), that might not be to bad either.
Either way, leave the rind on it as that is where the bulk of the flavor is ...
Enjoy!
JMediger

Hi Wendollyn - a big welcome to DC!!!

I would say that brie tastes very rich and creamy, not very salty and a little bit pungent. I'm honestly not all that crazy about brie (sans perhaps when it's baked in a pastry crust), but it does have a distinct taste. I find it a bit strong, but I know others who swear it's mild. Brie from France tends to taste a little more "brie-ish" than the non-French ones that I've had. If you've ever had Camembert cheese brie is a bit like that flavour.

Brie the king of cheeses

What does Brie taste like?

For a start, there are obviously several kinds of Brie. The most famous is Brie de Meaux.

Like most foods, the origin and quality of the raw material (milk) is of primary importance.
Then there's the expertise of the cheesmaker, and the way the cheese has been shipped and stored by the retailer.

There are also two important final factors: serving temperature and the degree to which the cheese is aged.

When of excellent quality and properly aged, Brie does a very clever balancing act between the bland, unctuous taste of many dairy products *plus* the beginning of a pungent, "funky" flavour.
One of the reasons that Brie is the king of cheeses is because it complements rather than overwhelms fine wines if it hasn't been left to age too long.

To me, Brie is like caviar or oysters. It is sublime "as is" without any recipe or doctoring.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Back
Top Bottom