"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

Too much sugar for me to justify it. I have a really sweet tooth, and for different reasons but similar too Corey, have to be careful where sugar is concerned: the more I get the more I want, then the more my body thinks it needs. When I have sugar I want to really need it to make the food work: eg cake, choc, icecream. Yogurt works as yogurt for me. I make a yogurt drink very occasionally though (not too often because of the sugar in the orange juice I use, and the honey!) but it is plain live yogurt, a teaspoon of honey, a banana, and a splash of orange juice all whizzed together...but you have to drink it then and there....no sitting around for that type of mixture!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Executive Chef

My nutritionist once told me that when you eat, especially dinner, you can do a tradeoff. Eat a little bit more sugar in your desert or eat a little bit more starch.

This way, you're not getting too much of one thing. Starch turns to sugar in the body anyway.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Head Chef

I guess being from an Indian origin drinkable yogurt is something we grew up with. The ones sold in super markets here are bit too sweet and pungent (full of essences) for me. I like to make my own. Some of the ones I listed below may be weird to many of the readers but is perfectly normal for an Indian household

Here are some concoctions that we make at home

Mango and Yogurt with some sugar
Rose Syrup and Yogurt (the syrup has sugar so have to be careful while adding any sugar)
Plain yogurt, Mint leaves, black pepper, pinch of salt, few tbsps of sugar and pinch of cumin (Sweet and savory, goes really well with a chicken biryani)
Plain yogurt with a pinch of cardamom powder and sugar to your taste along with some milk all blended together
Yogurt blended with sugar and milk and then add grated or finely chopped fruit (you eat with a spoon but it's not thick, it's almost like a smoothie with freshly grated and chopped fruits (fruits that go well are peeled and grated apples, diced oranges and halved grapes)
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Oh, the plain yogurt with milk and cardomom sounds delicious, THAT I will be trying, probably tomorrow breakfast thank you!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Dairy is the devil! That being said, I supplement calcium. I do eat cottage cheese, though.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

Why don't you like dairy products eatsOats?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

lulu: the lactose (milk sugar). For fat-loss and digestive reasons.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
Head Chef

I feel really well (digestively) when I drink a fair quantity of skimmed milk, I often have it for breakfast: is this inhibiting my weight loss? Where can I find info on this?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsOats
lulu: the lactose (milk sugar). For fat-loss and digestive reasons.
yogurt (with active bacterias / probiotics) are very good for your digestive system - there have been studies that introducing small amounts of yogurt into your diet may help your body to digest the lactose
And there are lots of studies showing yogurt helps with weight loss

I make sure that I eat yogurt everyday (and read the container to make sure that it contains active bacterial cultures)
I have stopped buying the flavoured yogurts because of all the refined sugars and flavourings, I buy plain (not vanilla) yogurt and add my own fruit to it
I blended a can of peaches (homemade) with some yogurt to make my own fruit added yogurt - yes it is full of sugar but at least I know how much sugar (and not all sugars are used up the same) and what chemicals were added) I love this blended yogurt on my cereal in the morning

I have not tried the yogurt drinks but I don't think that I would like drinking something that thick and again I don't like all the sugar

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I feel really well (digestively) when I drink a fair quantity of skimmed milk, I often have it for breakfast: is this inhibiting my weight loss? Where can I find info on this?
Low fat dairy is very good for you and some studies show that it can help you shed pounds
Some studies say that low fat dairy does not promote weight loss but none that I have found said that low fat dairy would make you gain weight (when consumed in "normal" amounts)
Low-fat dairy enhances weight loss in diabetics

Including Fat-Free Yogurt in Weight Loss Efforts May Trim Tummies Faster

MayoClinic on milk and weight loss

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None